• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

hot clutches, too stiff of spring?

K
Dec 19, 2010
bozeman mt
my clutches are to hot to touch after just three pulls less than a minute on each pull and my buddy did the same pulls and his were warm but nowhere near as hot as mine. i was told maybe i have to stiff of primary spring? its green with a red stripe. i also have a blowhole installed a team secondary clutch, i have a belt drive installed with the lowest gearing possible. i m running at around 9lbs of boost. just wondering if anyone out there could tell me what to look for and what primary spring they are using.im getting tired of blowing belts every 3 rides. i also checked the alignment when i installed the new secondary and it was good. thanks

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
Running really low gearing with a turbo probably isn't helping your belt heat. I would look at the secondary for signs of belt slippage near full shift out, or the center of the sheaves. I would bet you are shifting out well past 1:1 on your clutches and slipping in your secondary.as the belt gets pulled further down inside the sheaves you have less surface area on your belt to grab. Wouldn't hurt to look.

K
Dec 19, 2010
bozeman mt
Thanks. Whenever I clean the secondary it doesn't seem to have alot of residue on it but I'll take a closer look at it. What would be the fix if it is shifting out? Higher gearing? Thanks

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
Yeah, higher gearing. I'm no expert but I'm running a turbo @ 9lbs and the stock 2012 gearing that everyone says was too high and it works good, straight 40 helix w/ orange cat spring 82g weights and 120/285 primary spring. I've still got room for improvement, but my belts are lasting almost a whole season.

K

Kbakbmr

Nov 28, 2009
Palmer, AK
contact mmsports hes a guru on clutching. Sounds like you are running the boondocker clutch kit. Didnt work for me so i called mmsports and my sled rips no belt problems. 1300 total miles 800 boosted miles n only 1 belt blown. (From holding it wide open for to long 30 min) also double check motor mounts and balance your clutches. Ive had primarys 11g out of ballance and secondarys 14g out.

K
Dec 19, 2010
bozeman mt
its on a 13 800 proclimb. i got my team clutch from racing station and told them i was turboed what elevation and how many lbs of boost. had the boondocker kit installed at boondockers. what spring should i have in the secondary, never have torn it apart. and kbakbmr what did they change in our clutching that made it work?

Premium Features