• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hidden Gems Gunnison County Snowesters Needed

G
date is confirmed

The folks from Hidden Gems will be at the County Commissioners meeting on Tuesday January 26th trying to get their support for adding the Whetstone edition to the Hidden Gems Proposal.

They are scheduled at 10:30 in the Commissioners room at the Gunnison Courthouse.

Please try to take time from your busy schedules to come to the meeting and show your opposition to the Proposal. You all know how this will effect our riding area. We are already stuck between 2 wilderness areas.

This new addition would remove 17,000 acres from snowmobile access and put another wilderness area on our south east border.

See you there.

Last edited:
G
Just a reminder

Tomorrow at 1030am you have your chance to let the Gunnison county commissioners know what you think of the hidden gems campaign.

We have over 300 letters in opposition to the proposal that have been turned into the commissioners and will be again tomorrow

G
About 50 people in attendance

motorized and mechanized users spoke out against the proposal urged hidden gems to seek companion designations rather than wilderness

The whetstone portion of this stinks to high hell, local environmental groups (which suggested the addition of whetstone to the HG proposal) thinks that if this is wilderness it will stop the mine company from moving forward.

which couldn't be further from the truth, this won't effect anything as the mine has clear title to 160 acres smack dab in the middle of this area with mill sight claims already filed and paid for.

This would be an environmental worse nightmare should it become wilderness and the mine still use their property as a mill site. toxic waste dump surrounded by "wilderness" LoL!!

The BOCC sounded like they were going to hold one last work session for public comment before saying one way or the other.

I'd say comments from actual county residence were split overall there were more people that spoke in support of the proposal. HG brought in folk from outside the area to speak in support of the proposal as a whole which gave them the majority by a little.

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I hope that Gunnison has seen/read the controversy and the lopsided piece of this. Keep us informed in case you need more people. Gunnison is a long way for us, but you never know.

Premium Features