• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HID LIGHTING FOR SNOWMOBILES...SOME INFO FOR THOSE CONSIDERING AN INSTALL. .

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
P

Peevo

Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Mountainhorse asked me to write a presentation on HID Lighting in snowmobiles... So here you go.

How it all works:

• The ballast is simply explained a transformer with some electronics to transform the system voltage to a much higher voltage used to lit the xenon gas in the bulb.

• The ballast is rated at a certain output. In this example 55W. You can use a 35W bulb with the 55W ballast without putting anything else but the bulb at stake. Do not try to inverse this and use a 55W bulb with a 35W ballast. It will work, but not for so long.

Different HID ballast types:

• There are a couple of different types of ballasts out there.

• Standard full size ones will suit 95% of all customers. Cheaper, I find them more reliable. On the minus side, they are a little bigger and almost suited for a certain voltage (12V or 24V). See picture below.
attachment.php

• Slim with digital controlling: A little bit more expensive. Smaller than standard full size ballasts. Takes a wide range of voltage input. On the negative side. There’s a coil on the cable between the ballast and the lamp connector. See picture below.
attachment.php

Bulbs:

• There are a million type of bulbs out there and it should be possible to find virtually any one you would want. I will instead focus more on color temp (Kelvin, K). When K is increased the color of the light turns more blue, when increasing K the light flow (measured in lumens, lm) decreases a little. The most common color temp is 4300K, bright white light, ideal when it’s dark. 6000K is another popular color temp. It’s ideal if you ride in the dark and it at the same time snows. The blue light do not reflect back from the snowflakes as good as white light. 8000K is a little more blue than 6000K. Looks heavy.

• Single bulb: Only one bulb.

• Bi-xenon bulb: One bulb with a movable shield or bulb.

• Dual bulb: Two bulbs in one. Not one of the most reliable inventions, yet..

• What about Wattage? 35W is okay for Average Joe. It is more light than from a standard car with halogen bulbs. Far more. 55W suits you well if you are afraid of the dark. If you know that you have a more powerfull electrical system on your sled then go with 55W.

• You will need to adjust your headlight a little to get the light where you like to. Mainly because of the shape of the bulb. Remember that at some point you will meet someone at the trail with a similar setup. Try not to burn your buddies retinas out.

• A 35W HID bulb have about three times as much output in lumens as a 55W halogen

• Will the heat destroy the reflectors in my headlight? No! The bulb is cooler compared to a halogen dito. In some conditions you might have to scratch ice from your headlights.

Snowmobiles:

It is very common that snowmobile manufacturers use alternating current (AC) for their light bulbs. Especially on 2-strokes. This can cause you problems if you plan a conversion of your sled. The ballasts of a HID kit requires direct current (DC) to function properly.

To further complicate this a bit. Some brands use “two” electrical systems. One for AC and another for DC. If it is DC the ground cable should be connected to the snowmobile frame. If it is AC it utilizes a ground from the generator. Try to figure out this before you convert. Do not connect AC to DC.

We have found it easier to convert sleds with electric start then rope pulled ones. Simply it’s because the battery needs to be charged with direct current (DC). And therefore are equipped with an oem rectifier/regulator.

When you buy a HID for your sled you need to remember that you need a bi-xenon kit. The difference from a single beam kit is that the bulb in a bi-xenon kit has a movable
shield used to switch between hi and lo. Normally a bi-xenon kit uses only one bulb connector. I recommend using two single relay harnesses instead and use both bulb connectors.

• I can put together a SnoWest HID kit with 2 standard 35W ballasts, 2 35W bi-xenon bulbs and 2 single relay harness at a reasonable pricing.

Converting a sled:

Step 1: First thing to do is make sure your main lights are supplied by direct current (DC). If it’s direct current continue to Step 3. If not, continue read at Step 2.

Step 2: You need to get a rectifier/regulator to transform AC to DC, and in some cases, a small battery or a capacitor. For US customers Trail Tech can supply you with what you need for this. Or with an oem rectifier/regulator it is plug n' play. The battery/capacitor is there to prevent an overload on the electrical system. If there is a demand I can try supply you with both rectifier and capacitor at a SnoWest price.

Step 3: Change your standard bulbs to the ones from your kit. As always, try to keep the bulb as clean as possible (No fingers on the bulb). Mount the ballasts where you find a good spot. Double adhesive tape can be your friend if you are short on good spots to mount the ballasts. Connect all connectors together and pull the rope. You should now see a razor sharp light beam out of your headlights. Not as plug and play as on a car. But still possible.

Disclaimer: Every brand have their own idea of how their lighting system should function. I cannot guarantee that my guide is 100% percent correct. Use fuses and do it at your own risk. If you have questions do not hesitate to use this thread. It is better to ask one question too much than fry something under the hood. We will try to solve all problems together.

Here's the link to my shop:
http://www.hidini.com

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Thank you Olav this is a great write up.

Can you offer some suggestions for how to wire up AC lighting... like that on the PRO RMK and Arctic Cat (not sure on the Yamaha.)

The RMK and M do have rectifiers... but only for the computer system....The lighting is still AC but some say they have been having good luck hooking them up which confuses me a bit.

P

Peevo

Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Thanks Jeff!

Mountainhorse: Is it possible to find any electric wiring diagrams online for Poo and Cat? All Yamahas (4-stroke) I have equipped was just plug in and ride.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I see what I can dig up on the Polaris... I dont have access to AC stuff.

Also, what about the different wattage units (like the 75 watt systems) Slim& , full size balast. that are out there.

What about bulb capping so you dont burn your buddies retinas out when coming head on?

P

Peevo

Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I must say that i'm not overly impressed with 70W and above. Often it's just hotted 55W ballasts to 70W and a 55W bulb. In the end the customer gets dissapointed because it's less reliable than a 55W kit. 35W HID is a giant step from stock halogen. 55W is better. But not double up from 35W. 70W is not worth it's price compared to 55W. Difference is much smaller than between 35W and 55W. Back to the 70W kits: 99 out of 100 of the ones that sell are single bulbs for this purpose:

attachment.php

Last edited:

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
You can't just slap a Xenon bulb into any reflector housing and expect acceptable results. They can blind oncoming traffic if not done properly. That's why they use a focusing lens on automotive applications. The lens aims and restricts the light from blasting oncoming traffic. Works a lot liike a movie projector lens does. Probably not a big concern on sleds unless your a night rider on heavily used trails (like them back east folks do). It's great to have huge light, but careful it's not at the expense of oncoming traffic. I have the 35 watt bulbs on my truck (with a focusing lens) on the low beam side and they are great, but they are even brighter than my highbeams, so I can't see using them without a focusing lens where your going to be meeting traffic.

Last edited:
F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
friend that works at a body shop has done all his cars and trucks.....3 or 4 years ago he did his XP.....not a good idea....after he blew his dash a few times (doo repair on warranty) he took them back out....he did say that the start up was what he thought was blowing the dash gauges......if you get the Hid to work on high beam so when you fire the sled with low beam!!!!might help some you thinking about an install.....

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
How much weight does this add to your sled...... LOLOL

I am suprised that one of you weight Nazis didn't bring it up until now

P

Peevo

Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
What about the adjustable output models?

Seems like a simpler solution to Bi-xenon kit...

How reliable / durable is a bi-xenon compared to a single style?

Have never sold any adjustable ones. It's the same thing as ordninary bi-xenon. Same bulbs. But adjustable output ballasts

The only difference between single bulb xenon and bi-xenon is that either the shield or bulb moves to create low and high beam. Both are very reliable and not that expensive. A 2-pack 35W bi-xenon lamp kit costs $27.99 + shipping from me.

Last edited:
P

Peevo

Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
You can't just slap a Xenon bulb into any reflector housing and expect acceptable results. They can blind oncoming traffic if not done properly. That's why they use a focusing lens on automotive applications. The lens aims and restricts the light from blasting oncoming traffic. Works a lot liike a movie projector lens does. Probably not a big concern on sleds unless your a night rider on heavily used trails (like them back east folks do). It's great to have huge light, but careful it's not at the expense of oncoming traffic. I have the 35 watt bulbs on my truck (with a focusing lens) on the low beam side and they are great, but they are even brighter than my highbeams, so I can't see using them without a focusing lens where your going to be meeting traffic.

You are right mr! Adjust your headlights folk after conversion and your oncoming traffic will be happy again.

P

Peevo

Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
friend that works at a body shop has done all his cars and trucks.....3 or 4 years ago he did his XP.....not a good idea....after he blew his dash a few times (doo repair on warranty) he took them back out....he did say that the start up was what he thought was blowing the dash gauges......if you get the Hid to work on high beam so when you fire the sled with low beam!!!!might help some you thinking about an install.....

Doo's are sensitive. Without e-start you have to invent the wheel again. Or try follow my guide.

Had an -08 Summit X 800. Fried the speedometer sensor. Because of the pretty high start up current from the HIDs. It lowers the voltage in the start up phase, and when that happens the current increases to the consumers in the electrical system.

Keep em coming! I adjust a little in my first post almost after every question.

M

Mister907

Dec 7, 2008
ANCHORAGE ALASKA
Doo's are sensitive. Without e-start you have to invent the wheel again. Or try follow my guide.

Had an -08 Summit X 800. Fried the speedometer sensor. Because of the pretty high start up current from the HIDs. It lowers the voltage in the start up phase, and when that happens the current increases to the consumers in the electrical system.

Keep em coming! I adjust a little in my first post almost after every question.

wow! you understood that!???

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
a word of caution

Good info..however here is some food for thought..
Although HIDs do produce more light per watt, the focal point of an HID bulb and Halogen is different.sometimes using an HID bulb in a Halogen reflector just does not provide the effect that you may desire. Many applications work fine while others may give you horrendous light scatter, in particular with odd shaped reflectors, like those that are in many sleds.. sure they will be brighter, but is the usable light really doing much for you? Then again many are very happy with their HID setups.
The other issue that we have experienced is ballast failure, Use a well known ballast and you should not have to many issues..
Since sleds typ put out more than 150 watts I dont see the TT reg/rec lasting long on sleds.(they are rated for 150 max).Yes I have tried.. a regular full wave rectifier is a much better choice..and cost less than $10.00 Cyclops is a Trail Tech distributor. If they would work we would gladly offer them for this application.

Last edited:
Premium Features