• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help! New to turbos, have a few questions. See pics

C

chanks7

Dec 3, 2007
Ill start off by saying that I just purchased a 2007 RMK 600 with a 155" and it has an aerocharger turbo on it. The engine was seized up when I got it from the dealer. I disassembled it and found one piston melted down so Im now in the process of rebuilding it.

I have a couple of questions, first thing I noticed was the oil injection system was removed. What is the benefit to doing this? Aerocharger oiling system is self contained? The only benefit I could see is freeing up extra space for the turbo components but I think I could make it all fit, is it worth it add oil injection at this point or will I be ok with premix?

Secondly there is a toggle switch in the dash which appears to be connected to a vacuum line that goes to intake manifold at the carbs and over to what looks like a blow off valve. What would be the purpose of this switch?

And lastly, what are these relays/solenoids/pumps for in the pictures? It looks like maybe connected to the oil lines for the turbo? I haven't been able to find anything on aerochargers website.

Thanks, any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

4czx.jpg

7q51.jpg

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
K.... I could be very wrong, but I believe what you have there is a Hobbes switch set up. I thought they disappeared around WWII.

The cylinder on the right looks like a capacitor. Some of the older sleds do not make enough juice so you use the cap to smooth out the sled power and store some.

I believe you also have a fuel pump and small regulator or relay.

The switch on the dash. I think that is how you change boost levels. No idea, but I saw a Aero where the guy switched boost levels with a switch on the dash. I have no idea how it was plumbed or worked.

The oiling of the motor, that's up to you.

If that is a Hobbes set up, there is a much easier way to do this. Check out the carb turbo thread in the General section.

Last edited:
A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I'm pretty shure, that's a Steve packer, turbo doc setup.
Turbo Doc Inc
4945 Apache Way
Ogden, UT 84403 - View Map
Phone: (801) 334-9140
Own This Business?

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
Ok what you have on the dash is a high low switch. It will take you from 10 psi -12.

On the side of the sled you have a capacitor, Hobbs switch, and nos solenoid

The capacitor made it so the sled could use the 12ac and turn it into a dc wave. So the fuel pump had clean power and would not burn up. There is also a rectifier I. There somewhere. Un less that was taken out and replaced.

The nos solenoid and hobb switch made it so you could add extra fuel into the turbo. At 4 psi the Hobbs switch would turn on the nos solenoid and extra fuel would flow in to the turbo and charge tube.

I always use to take these off no need for it. It use to slow down the turbo speed and where way to hard to adjust.

Oil injection is fine being taken off if it is on a 600. Just run it with. The reason everyone use to take injection off was to know for sure how much oil and fuel mix you had. There use to be a idea that as boost came and extra fuel was needed that your oil ratio would be off. It also lighted things up.

We ran those set ups for years. They worked great.
Give me a call if you have any questions.
Bryce
Turbo performance
801-807-8046

C

chanks7

Dec 3, 2007
Thanks everyone this helps a lot. What pistons would be best for my application? I heard the single ring pistons are the way to go on boosted engines, and I also heard to avoid wiseco pistons. The only single ring pistons I can find are forged wiseco and they are at least double $ compared to OEM style pistons.

C

chanks7

Dec 3, 2007
Ok what you have on the dash is a high low switch. It will take you from 10 psi -12.

On the side of the sled you have a capacitor, Hobbs switch, and nos solenoid

The capacitor made it so the sled could use the 12ac and turn it into a dc wave. So the fuel pump had clean power and would not burn up. There is also a rectifier I. There somewhere. Un less that was taken out and replaced.

The nos solenoid and hobb switch made it so you could add extra fuel into the turbo. At 4 psi the Hobbs switch would turn on the nos solenoid and extra fuel would flow in to the turbo and charge tube.

I always use to take these off no need for it. It use to slow down the turbo speed and where way to hard to adjust.

Oil injection is fine being taken off if it is on a 600. Just run it with. The reason everyone use to take injection off was to know for sure how much oil and fuel mix you had. There use to be a idea that as boost came and extra fuel was needed that your oil ratio would be off. It also lighted things up.

We ran those set ups for years. They worked great.
Give me a call if you have any questions.
Bryce
Turbo performance
801-807-8046

So I should just get rid of that stuff? How else can the mixture be richened to accommodate the extra air from boost, larger jets?

Thanks, I may have to give you a call once I get this thing running. Still waiting on parts.

Chris.

C

chanks7

Dec 3, 2007
As far as piston selection goes, which pistons should I choose to rebuild this engine? Stock, PSI, wiseco forged single ring? I did a search for turbo pistons but everything is talking about the 800 engine.

Thanks.

Premium Features