• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help me Identify this Polaris?

P
Dec 3, 2007
Hey guys,
I went to a friends last night and saw one of the neatest vintage sleds I've ever seen. It is a Polaris and the decals say it is a TX 340 Starfire....BUT, here is where it gets wierd. It's date of manufacture is 01/10/1975 and it is a liquid. I am very familiar with all years of the production TXL from 77-82 and this engine only slightly resembles a TXL340. Did Polaris have prototype liquids in production this early?
It has a LH loop on the handlebar and the heat exchangers look like they were custom intalled. The cooling system has hoses routed all over under the hood.
The cool thing is that the sled is 95% complete with a near perfect hood and bellypan and man does it run! I couldn't believe how fast it is. Also it is ported to the nuts...raunchy to start and very pipey. It does have a single stock exhaust.
My question is, is this a limited build race sled? What kind of value does it have. He is considering putting this motor into a newer TXL chassis. Bad idea if you ask me.
Help me out with some info please.
Thanks

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
The starfires were very limited build factory race sleds. they were made in all race classes from 250s up through 797 tripples. I have seen all kinds of wild engines in them. Most were run on ice ovals and that explains the large handlebar hooks and foot holds. Being Ice oval sleds, they were extremely ported and VERY pipey motors. My neishbor as a kid had a 440 that clutches engaged at about 8000 and red lined at 9500. They screamed. If that thing is that complete, there is now way I could chop it up. Even the motor,to put the in a daily driver would be a mistake. It would be misearable to try to tune and a real pain. No idea what the value of the sled would be. What ever it is, I couldn't or wouldn't ever cut it up.

Z
Dec 1, 2007
minnienosnowda
txl

If you can get your hands on the new snow goer or super traxx get it. it talks of polaris putting that motor in the starfire for photo shoots. them they came out with the txl body. It a cool pice on the TXL get you hands on it or go to thier web site

Premium Features