• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help, Engine keeps cutting out!!!

B
Mar 9, 2011
Hey Guys, was hoping to get a little help, I have a mostly stock 2008 M8 153 with SLP pipe and can. So lately when I finish a hill climb, running at high RPM's then let off the gas the engine cuts out and dies, one pull and I am up and running. Occssionally I can feather the gas and it will keep going but it is easier to just let it die, dont have to wait, just pull it and go. This happened about 15 times last ride, doesn't seem to happen when riding on the trails full throttle, just after hill climbs for some reason. So after my last ride put sled in truck and went home, tried to start it to unload and it wont start. Have checked the plugs they were black after one ride, cleaned up and they got spark. Undid gas line and gas flows when trying to pull start so I think fuel pump is working. Checked all my connections, no Burnt or frayed wires. Have cleaned the power valves. I have no clue what to do next. Closest shop is 2-3 hours away. Would love some advice, I know someone here knows exactly what it is, please help me!! Thanks in advance..

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
When you unplug the fuel line you say fuel flows?

It should spray past the front of the sled if the pump is working right.

I see a lot of icing up this time of year when it is 32+ degrees in the day and then 10 at night.

I would lean toward 2 things.

1. You are running too lean on the top end and long pulls get you lean and you are dying from a lean condition.

2. You have a weak fuel pump and long pulls are taxing it too much.

Pressure test the pump. 41-45 psi is what you want to see.

Make sure you are checking your long pulls with a 1/2 full or more fuel tank just to ensure that you are not getting air in the lines due to low fuel.

Do a long 30 second pull and then hit the stop switch at the top. Pull the pipe and make sure the wet line goes almost to the pipe through the y pipe and that your plugs look good.

B
Mar 9, 2011
Thanks for your advice the gas shot out but only about 6-10 inches, What is the wet line?? and how do you change how lean the sled is running??
thanks again
dave

Premium Features