• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

help-edge rmk 800 belt change problem

J

jb33

ok, so i have a 2005 800 rmk 159 with a team secondary clutch and perc reverse. I can not get the secondary clutch to loosen up at all, to get the belt off. my family has been around sleds(polaris) for many years and have never had this problem. it wont loosen up. so i end up having to cut the belt off. i cant figure out what i need to do. so any tips or help with this problem would be great.
thanks, jesse

Is this your 1st team clutch? If so, there is a tool to open the clutch. It would take superman to open one by hand. On the face of the clutch facing the outside of the sled you will see a 1/4" hole in the clutch. You insert the "tool" there. All the tool is, is a piece of 1/4" rod stock bent in a 90 degree angle. It is threaded on one end to go in that hole and just screw it in and the clutch will open. If your tool is missing, a plain old 1/4''x20 bolt will workm but then you need a 7/16" wrench to run it in and out.

Sounds like it's stuck in the reverse part of the helix. You need to get it in forward to be able to spread.

theultrarider described it well.

Here's a segment from the service manual for 2004 RMK's p2.14
TeamSecondarybeltremoval.jpg

Second pic, circled in white is a jam nut on the Team Secondary, used for belt drive adjustment (belt width adjuster) as the belt wears or is new.
1. loosen jam nut
2. using 1/8" allen wrench, adjust threaded set screw as needed....turn set screw in (clockwise) to increase the distance between the sheaves and out (counterclockwise) to decrease the distance.
3. tighten jam nut
TeamSecondarybeltremoval2.jpg

I have taken my belt off maybe a 100 times and I have never used the tool
just park on a slight hill and roll the belt off the front clutch as you turn the back one, the machine moves a little. Takes a little hard pulling, but not that bad.

Premium Features

Back