• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Helmet Ratings?

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Took advantage of After-Thanksgiving Internet helmet sales; Bought 2 to try on as it's hard to find several brands in the right sizes at 1 location, living in rural Montana, to try for fit. Return shipping is cheaper than fuel/travel time. I still like my Arctic Cat TXI full-face helmet with visor for cold weather; have been using a 509 Evolution with great sealing Aviator goggles in my favorite all-around lens Gold mirror/Yellow lens for 5 years. The 509 in size medium is comfortably tight, but a bit uncomfortable with a thin balaclava. I ordered a Motorfist Alpha carbon fiber in medium & last years style 509 C2 carbon fiber in medium at great discounts! LOOKING for ratings/opinions on both helmets as I will only be able to rate them by fit & comfort before returning 1 or both. 509 goggle seal on the Motorfist? Durability? Any & all opinions welcome both good & bad. Thanks All. Happy & Safe Sledding!:juggle:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Honestly, that's a tough question to answer. It's like asking people, whats your favorite work boot, running shoe or pants??? Everyone is different in a variety of ways and helmet fitment is no different.

Everyone's face profile, size and the way we generate heat is different, thus making every helmet different fitting and feeling different.

The best is what works for "you" and fit's "you" the best!!

Now as far as quality that is where you can find some differences and I my thoughts are buy the best quality helmet you can afford, after all its just your head........

Personally, I like a lighter weight helmet and I have had good with luck with Troy Lee Designs helmets. With regard to 509, I'm personally not a fan as when they started out, their helmets were just re-badged AFX helmets. You were basically paying double or more for the same helmet with a different paint job. Now.....I don't follow them anymore, so this may have changed????

Again, my best advise is to do what you have been doing and try as many helmets on as possible and find what fits and feels the best for you with the best quality you can afford. After all if this was sky diving........would you merely buy a discounted cheap parachute??????

Premium Features