• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hawk questions? Please? Thanks.

R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
First off, let me say that I have over two thousand miles on snowbikes. First a 2moto and now a MountainHorse. Both kits were on a KTM 530.

My short wife rides a good sled and seeing all the fun a single ski gives the rider, she now wants a snowbike of some kind. At this time all of the snowbikes are TALL (I did lower a MH kit for a friend to 29" seat height, but it pushed snow so bad it was worthless in powder).

So my thought is to purchase a Snow Hawk for her to ride with us. Who knows we might all be on Hawks next season, if they work better than the MH.

So for my questions. Trying to stay light I am thinking of a 503 Hawk. What are the problems with the 503? What is the seat height? Can it be lowered if necessary? Hawks look heaver than dirt bike conversions. What does a 503 weigh? 600 weight?

Am I approaching this wrong? Should I wait for a newer generation snowbike kit (I know of 3 new ones for '12) to see if one of them might work. Or go with the 503?

Sorry for all the questions. I am up on snowbikes but know little about Hawks.

Thanks,
Gary

G
Aug 18, 2009
Vermont
I know that the 503 weighs roughly 350lbs dry. Im not quite sure on the seat hight but I think the 600 is higher than the 503. I'm 5'11" and I sometimes have a hard time touching the ground if i get on uneven ground or in powder but I can imagine that the bike conversion is the same.

S
Jan 22, 2011
I would actually head on over to backcountryrebels.com, there is a ton of guys ready to give you input over there as well. I am new to the snowhawk world but I picked up in a post over there that the 503 is 4" shorter than the 600 HO. I have a 2004 and at 5'10" it can feel a little heavy at times due to the seat height, I think it would be nicer to throw around if it was 4" shorter but I do mostly trail riding

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
hard answer

This is very hard to answer. My wife rode snowbikes first. She is probally around 5-8 or so tall. It is alot harder to go real slow in the woods with a hawk that is for sure. With a hawk you steer with the track more than the ski in the powder i feel. The seat height is lower on the hawk but wider so there is some compromise there too. If a machine is on the ground i think a hawk is easier to pick up some times than a bike, if the proper technique is used.
You should really come to hawkfest, you can sample many machines there.

S

snow hawk gal

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
Hawkfest

I completely agree with Les. Hawkfest is the perfect way for her to try out every kind of combination for a Snow Hawk or bike for that mater.
It would be a great weekend getaway.
If you need more information please shoot me an email.
snowhawk@snowhawkadventure.com
Thanks,
Tammy

Premium Features