• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hard Starting 98' Touring LE 440 Rotax

G

Going Up

Oct 29, 2001
Spokane, WA
I have a friend with a 98' Skidoo Touring LE with a 440 ROtax. When the sled is cold it is very hard to start. Once he gets it warmed up it starts fine, just having trouble when it is cold. He is on the other side of the state so I have not been able to look at the sled. Here is his description of what he is running into:
"It has a starter. It probably turns over for a good 30-60 seconds and then starts to catch (will fire a few times) and then finally will start to run rough. Sometimes it will die but you pick up where you left off in the 'warm up sequence'. It starts rough but then you can hear it change idle (smoother) and then a minute later its good to go. It starts a little smokey but then clears up quickly."
I don't have much experience with the Rotax engines. I am guessing it is something in the carbs or the choke. Any ideas on what I should suggest to him?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Does it have a choke or a primer??? That's where I'd look first, make sure they are adjusted/functioning properly.

G

Going Up

Oct 29, 2001
Spokane, WA
Thanks winterbrew, that is what I was guessing also. I just didn't know if these motor have some sort of notorious issue that they are know for.

Premium Features