• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

handling question for the m-series

S

sonmtn

Dec 29, 2007
Deer Lodge, Montana
Just started riding the m-series style sled this year. The wife and i both think the front end plows terribly bad, (when letting off the throttle), my son tells me it's "how" it is supossed to be you just gotta learn to ride it.
Maybe i am still just not used to the new style of sled after years of powder specials and 1m's. Both are 2006 models one an M8 the other a 7 factory skiis, the M7 has the Holz relocation bracket. Any help would be appreciated, like what hole on the drop bracket, how tight or loose on the straps, ski selection etc etc.
I know they are not trail sleds, but, everytime you let off, it just seems to dive, plow, what ever you would call it, they just seem terrible to control. Like powder over the hood plowing, over the handle bars you go. I do love the powder riding, no comparison to the old sled. But holy hell are they that different to ride than the older sleds?
In fact the wife likes riding my 04 mountain cat over the m, so i can't help but think there has to be something that would help.

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com
Well that doesn't sound right at all. So are you saying they are bad on the trails or just plow all the time?

My m7 has powder pro skis, the limiter strap is all the way out. Maybe check the ski alignment also? Mine always feels like the front end isn't touching, not trenching just really light in the front, definitely not plowing.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Your limiters are likely too tight & the front shock needs a bit of preload added.

Pull your limiters out two notches, and tighten the front shock about 4 turns & let us know how it feels after that.

After you do that, check your sag with whoever rides it the most on it, make sure that you're at an acceptable level for what you like (I like 1" F&R on my sleds with me on it). If you only adjust, but don't compensate for it in the rest of your suspension setup, you'll just hurt something else. Also, if you go TOO far in what I'm saying, you can lose ski pressure, so there is a limit.

Btw, finally shot you some pics a bit ago, sorry for the delay!

messickzr

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Iowa
Well that doesn't sound right at all. So are you saying they are bad on the trails or just plow all the time?

My m7 has powder pro skis, the limiter strap is all the way out. Maybe check the ski alignment also? Mine always feels like the front end isn't touching, not trenching just really light in the front, definitely not plowing.

I would agree! No feelings of plowing at all on any of my Ms. I wonder if the alignment isn't out of whack! Something doesn't seem right.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
if you have the manual, read it and put the suspension back to stock, that is the best starting point, who knows what previous owners did over the years, then you can make some adjustments if they still handle bad, also they are both 5+ years old, the shocks could use a service, the M handles so much better than the PS its no contest

S

sonmtn

Dec 29, 2007
Deer Lodge, Montana
need to add the m8 has fox floats front

I need to add the m8 has fox floats on the front and i just looked, both sleds the limit straps are all the way out. I am going to get some diff skis for both.

Last edited:
N

nikeholley

Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma
Same thing...

My wife & I are having some of the same issues...

We're looking at simmons skis... any input..??..

I like the dual-runner concept...

Thanks...

Nike

A
Oct 8, 2009
eagle river, AK
I had a set on my 2010 HCR and they were great for deep powder and side hilling but when it comes to trail riding or just riding when your skis are on the ground they are really hard to steer and your shoulders will hurt. When i got my 2011 i left the stock skies on it and liked them way better then i ever liked my simmons.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I think Simmons suck on the M series, for me they make the front end dive much worse than stock ski. SLP Powder Pro's work great!

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I like the stock skis the M"s seem to turn better when they are down in the front just lean your body and it will turn no real need to turn the bars it responds to your body way more than the skis

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
trails+ stock skis or HCR skies

off trail, Powder pros

still think you should check all suspension adjustments before trowing skis at it,

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
skiing for fun

welcome to standup riding ?? Forget the old style cat, you ride these standing up, I spent the last 25 years of riding converting the old cats to stand up riding. If you sit down and ride these sleds............just don't, its frustration 101. Get yourself some bar risers, even if you wife is 5'2" you need them. Ok some skiis can make it steer different, I've tried most, none will make it a sit down sled , so Go SLP you won't be disappointed, the stock skis are a poor compromise.

Next year when you look back on this learning experience you'll wonder what the fuss was all about. I have several elderly sledd'n pals that kept their King Kats as back up, now 2 or three years later there' embarrased that they did and can't ride them anymore.

M
Feb 21, 2009
Get some SLP Powder Pros, I've got Powder Pros on my M7, my dad has the stock skis on his M8, I used to have the stock skis, he wishes he had Powder Pros. I rode them both back to back in fresh powder the other day and I couldn't get back on my sled quick enough. I also run the rear mount on the rear suspension in the upper hole, takes a little weight off the front end and feels more manuverable to me. Good luck!

fastlane

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
southern Minnesota
Make sure you set the air pressure in the m8 floats with the weight off, I know everyone knows but some dont I had a edge one time I bought with floats and the first time I rode it let off the gas and bout went over the handlebars, she dived in the front terrible, the guy had set the air pressure with the weight of the sled on it, after I jacked it up and reset the air, was perfect, no idea how he ever rode it that way, bet he thought those floats sucked...lol..

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
welcome to standup riding ?? Forget the old style cat, you ride these standing up, I spent the last 25 years of riding converting the old cats to stand up riding. If you sit down and ride these sleds............just don't, its frustration 101. Get yourself some bar risers, even if you wife is 5'2" you need them. Ok some skiis can make it steer different, I've tried most, none will make it a sit down sled , so Go SLP you won't be disappointed, the stock skis are a poor compromise.

Next year when you look back on this learning experience you'll wonder what the fuss was all about. I have several elderly sledd'n pals that kept their King Kats as back up, now 2 or three years later there' embarrased that they did and can't ride them anymore.

If that is so then why do I set my HCR bars at the lowest adjustment when I want to do some real technical riding. (and I am 6' 6") Its nice being able to pull them up when pounding the trail and standing up, but when they are to tall and sidehilling all you are doing is giving it more leverage to wash out and you are loosing control. Rule of thumb, if you stand on the running boards straight up and all the way forward, stretch your arms down to the bars, you should have to bend over a little. If the bars are in your hands without leaning down you will never get the leverage on the sled you could other wise. and for technical riding the lower the better as the bars will come to you.

Last edited:
Premium Features