• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

gt chip for rt 1000

R
Dec 8, 2007
has anyone tried a gt chip for the summit 1000. They claim up to 20% increase in horsepower. I doubt that is right, but any input would be great.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Try the search on the forums there are a million threads on these and no they don't work

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Like I said in responce to your post in your other thread. I'm not just blowing smoke, cubby put it best they don't work.

WOW, 20% for $35.00... why mess with NOS or a turbo. That would put RT's in the 200-205 HP with the chip and a can.

Most of this "cheap chips" are just a resistor that goes inline with some sensor that changes it's ohm value making the ECU beleive that some parameter ( air/fuel, air temp, air pressure ... etc.) is out of spec and in turn the ecu over fuels or changes timeing curve or both. It may result in a small gain, but not 20%... more like .20%. You are also messing with a value in the tuning that some engineer thought was the correct spec either for performance, reliablity, emissions.. what ever it it your taking a chance.

If you run the motor out of spec and you burn it down, now how much value have you gotten out of that chip. If EFI tuning were a simple thing there would be a 100 companies making them for 19.95. One burned up top end would cost you more then one EFI tuner ( boondocker for example ). Not to mention these types of changes in tuning often result in massive loss in fuel economy.

If they worked as advertised and you could get a 30 HP gain for that price don't you think every one on here would have one?

It's tempting at the price and that's how they get you. Save you money for a can, or controler box.

Premium Features