• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

grime in air box "look"

tree-magnet

Lifetime Membership
Last year at the beginning of he season I noticed a lot of grime down inside my air box. So I cut piece of K&N filter, its fairly coarse. Put some air filter oil on it & stuck it inside the square opening where the hood connects to the chassis. I put 4 screws in each corner for it to sit in., so it doesn't get sucked down. My system is sealed up tight, as tight as stock can be, intake screens are in tack. I was shocked how much crap is worked into the filter, oil film, belt dust. This is all going straight into the cylinders. Something to consider.
The one on the left is the top & the right side is the bottom, how it should look.

2015 pro 800 155
2013 pro 800 163

IMG_0997.jpg IMG_1000.jpg

Good test! And pretty disturbing results... I wonder how fine of a filter a guy could run like this without affecting airflow

Two thoughts:

1. You're going to pick up some fuel/air flow back out of the throttle bodies through the airbox, not like a piston port, of course, but some still gets by the reeds.

2. Many don't move their VES tube, and that's getting blown into the bottom of the bulkhead, too, along with belt dust and exhaust leaks. There is a drain hole on the bottom half of the air box - that also sucks crap into the throttle bodies. And don't discount leaks around the snorkel/hood. Guess that's three.

The intake shelf doesn't always seal up great with the hood either. I pulled a 14 apart last week and the amount of crap in the intake tract/tb's was sad...look for leaks and seal them up.

I think this is why turbo pros tend to last as long or longer than stock pros... Air box is sealed up and intake stays a lot cleaner. Pretty often I will look down in my airbox and find ice chunks. Gotta be great when those get sucked through.

The problem in at the top, the bottom of filter towards the throttle bodies are clean. Has to be coming in at the joints. Feel better at least having this installed, It hasn't affected the performance at all, Like I said it is a pretty coarse filter & about 3/4" thick.

The problem in at the top, the bottom of filter towards the throttle bodies are clean. Has to be coming in at the joints. Feel better at least having this installed, It hasn't affected the performance at all, Like I said it is a pretty coarse filter & about 3/4" thick.

Like this idea. what material exactly is this? got a link? Thanks

Good test TM. It's always bugged me to run a motor without a filter like sleds do stock. Enough so that it is one of the first things I take care of to prepare a sled for my to use.

The foam material you pictured looks like what I have used over the years to seal the joints and install behind the intake screens to finish filtering what the screen material lets through and to seal the hard plastic frame of these intakes to hood also.
I get this stuff at my local hardware store, cheap lol. It's humidifier foam and comes in a few colors lol, thicknesses and densities. I use about the same density as you pictured and pick the purdy yellow color.

Intake sealing for my Pro from the bottom up.

Drain holes. Need 'em (less so if sealed completely), can't seal them, so I make them bigger and use a drain hose from a dirt bike. Usually find one for a buck at a bike bone yard.

Top and bottom halves. Install shelf, then I used contact cement on the shelf to install a 3/16"x3/4" closed cell evo based foam around the perimeter with a bit of overhang to the outside. Very resilient and tough. I have a 50' roll from some time ago and don't remember where I got it lol. One of the local mines I think.
First time you snap it shut is a bit tough but then it takes a "mold" to the little ridges and works so well you wonder why it isn't stock lol.

Tube. My sled came with a double wrap of sealed cell foam on the bottom but only one on the top. I thought the bottom was good enough but needed a bit more downward pressure with the hood installed.
So I cut out 2 square outer rings of the foam you pictured, contact cemented (3M foam spray) one to the hood and one to the top of the tube. Now when the hood is installed the extra foam provides more pressure to seal the bottom and the extra thickness seals the top.

Hood and plenum. Tough part but nothing like trying to seal a flexy, heavy PC hood lol.
Separate the hood and plenum and throw away the noise horns (my personal opinion), then start in he middle at the front to re-attach.
As your working your way to the front in both directions snapping it together but before you get too far along, start sealing it with a 3/4" strip of quality duct tape (good stuff means just once, cheap stuff means maybe again) until you get right around to the "U" where the steering stem needs clearance.
This spot gets some flex stressing so here, I used a bit of a bead of silly stuff and fastened the two halves together with 4 1/8" aluminum rivets with a burr on the inside. It will be obvious where you need to put them. You can even use a magic marker to color match to the hood if you want lol.

Intakes screens. These let stuff through too. Especially at the joints-edges. Here I take that foam and cut out a piece to fit on the backside of the screen but a little oversize on the outside edges (now it filters like yours shows in pic).
Try to install and the foam will show to be too thick. a little trimming with sissors on a 45 degree angle and eventually they snap in good with a seal to the hood. Then trim the outside with a utility knife.

Now your ready for a dusty day lol. In honesty my favourite sleddin days are the "dusty" ones with the sun sparkling through that dust lol. Last thing I want to worry about is my motor eating that dust.
I've done this for a while and when I preped my Pro the first time it was part of must do stuff for me. Now that it has proven itself it has become a keeper,,, I'm very happy snowdust is not washing away my oil on the walls and the other dusts not scoring them.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
I can see this really helping the pro. My wife's 13' pro was having throttle sticking issues last year. At first I thought it might be a bad throttle cable, so I replaced it with a new one. Unfortunately it didn't fix the issue. The throttle wouldn't "snap" back after you squeezed it. So I decided to take the air box off and clean the throttle bodies. They were so gunked up it was causing it to stick. After I cleaned them with some brake clean, it ended working perfect again. So I definitely think with the reeds blowing by some oily air mixed back into the airbox, along with dirty air from the belt and other contaminants mixing causes build up of gunk. So by eliminating the contaminants, this should prevent the build up... Anyways I think I may have to install some of this stuff as well. Good job!

Premium Features

Back