• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Greenwater, one bad thing leads to another

JETJOHNSO

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
more about the spot

As I told Coug66 in a private email, I've had my spot since the came out, We jeep, dirt bike and snowmobile year round. I dont leave home with out it. The check in buttom puts the wife and friends at ease when we are running late, ( like one of those WJL run's on a thursday night when we dont get back to the truck till 1 or 2 from helping someone out ) Just the basic spot works great, used it many many times, fortunately havent had to use the 911 button though. I even give it to my kids when they ventrure up jeep in the middle of the night ! It's a great tool, not sure about the new text type ones though, dont know much about them, I do know that cell phone batteries dont last as long in the cold weather, Just my 2 cents worth !!

C

coug66

Oct 31, 2010
NW near Greenwater
sledders are there to lend a hand.

20130202950914502.jpg

Hitchin a lift we had to get two sleds down and I was going to drive Pete's sled and tow my sled down.

On smooth sections is was a smooth ride but the ride quickly got exciting when my brother raced up the roads at 40 mph. I couldn't steer and figured I would be the last to know if there was a screw up. The bumps felt like big time wrestling body slams.

Well we went up and fetched the sleds today. Clem has checked on my sled last Thursday. He checked it to see if it was fixable on the mountain, and dug it out and made it ready to tow out.

This is the hill that got me

DSCN2288.JPG

My brothers sled buried

DSCN2268.JPG

The hard snow made it an easy extraction. We had to dig it out and move the track over so it was free and clear for extraction.

DSCN2279.JPG

view down to the road, Look at the carbide tracks in the snow

DSCN2285.JPG

DSCN2280.JPG

After getting Pete's sled out it was time for mine.

DSCN2287.JPG

Brian, he has always been a big help he showed up, to give us a hand. He also trailered my sled home. He really got a work out today and most of it around, instead of on, a sled.
hopefullyhis next ride he will have more time enjoying his own sled instead of helping others with thiers.

We tied my Cat to the back of Pete's sled and he took a run at the hill, got close to the top and then buried his track to stop both sleds up the hill.

Just then a group of sledders came by and offered us a hand. We had a block and tackle, and a winch ( Clem loaned me his electric winch) but with all the volunteers it was an easy pull and push.

2 behind the sled, two on the ski's, one on the brake.

3 or 4 guys up the hill pulling on the rope. It was cake.

DSCN2290.JPG

Thank you for all the volunteers!!!!

great picture because my sled is no longer in the distance.

DSCN2294.JPG

We used Pete's sled to get all the extraction gear up to the top

DSCN2296.JPG

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
This has been mentioned on here before but i will throw it out again. Heavy duty mule tape(for pulling electrical wire thru conduit) and a running snowmobile can easily pull a sled up a hill that steep or steeper. The mule tape is lightweight and really strong. I buy the 2500lb test stuff. Really breaking strength is probably a lot more than that. So if you are by your self. Hike the hill with the mule tape and attach to tree. Tie off to a window on your track. Back the sled up the hill. The mule tape will wrap around the track and winch you right up. You can also use a sled that is at the top of the hill as the winch(same hookup too the track) just tie off the sled to a tree and pull the sled from the front end up the hill. 300ft of this tape weighs only a few pounds and packs up pretty tight. If this scares you a light block and tackle can be used with the mule tape too. A four to one with 2 or more guys pulling can move a sled pretty good too. Add a snowbunje and use the engine on the sled while they are pulling and you call climb Everest lol.

C

coug66

Oct 31, 2010
NW near Greenwater
Is my sled trying to tell me something :)

Perhaps my sled does not like the extra lbs? :face-icon-small-hap

My sled was in nuetral, I am thinking about carying some epoxy steel, if I can mold some new gear teeth with the epoxy I should be good to go at least for a couple of rides :face-icon-small-ton

The planetary gears were so FUBAR they spun freely. forward or reverse.

The tape could have worked with the other sleds though.

photo.JPG

I like the electrical tape, We used climbing rope but it is bulky.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
The 07/08 Diamond Drive strikes again!

Coug66, glad you are OK. Crazy story. Thank you for sharing it. A great educational tool. Reminds me that even though i have nearly every type of survival gear on me, i need to get a SPOT. Ordering it today :)

We've had a number of the 07/08 DD's go down in our group over the years. No fun. I replaced mine back 2009 with DD lite from BDX just because of that reason, they are rock solid. They stock unit with all those parts are garbage. Glad you made it out OK.

Premium Features