• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Grand Mesa awesome!

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
We spent the weekend on Grand Mesa. (dayriding from GJ because we are local) Wow! What a great weekend! Saturday three of us spent the entire day over by Electric Mountain Lodge. We got back into some really fine country west of the lodge and we were the only 3 people in there! It was tremendous! Stopped at EML for lunch and a beer - the place was packed and the food was excellent! Two of the local snowmobile clubs were having club rides and stopped in there for lunch so it was pretty crowded.

Sunday we did a much more mellow ride with my daughter and 3 grandsons from the Mesa Top parking lot. The top could stand more snow because there is still a risk of clipping rocks but it was still fabuluos riding! We then dropped off the side and had lunch at Thunder Mountain Lodge. Again the food and beer was excellent! Mark's snowcat still is in repair mode so the trail in was a little choppy. We chose to avoid it and use the lake route because of the small riders. That would be my only complaint about Mark's place and it is a small one but access at times is an issue. You have to want to go there, you aren't going to just stumble on to the place. There is no signage off the main route to get there if you are snowmobiling in. If you are driving, it's on a well-marked paved road so it's not an issue. Just a small complaint Mark! :face-icon-small-blu

Overall, the Grand Mesa is in fabulous shape and the riding and hospitality is awesome!

Thanks for a great weekend!

Last edited:

CANNONMAN

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Colorado/Wisconsin
www.thundermountainlodge.net
Thanks much, I'm not worried about that type of complaint! lol Appreciate you stopping by. You are welcome to park here anytime and Snowcat should be up and running today. FS is a little grumpy about signs I had on the dam directing peeps to the trail into the lodge. Got another idea I'm working on. Thanks again.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Where's the edge of the private property for the cabin right below the dam? Hmm, those cabins are all on land leased from the forest service aren't they? That probably doesn't work. I suppose the chance of getting any kind of permit from FS is about nil. I could come up and pretend I was lost and flag the sh*t out of it.:face-icon-small-win
Luckily I know where your place is and I can find it! Ha! We'll try parking there and riding out from your place. We've never done that before.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
Where's the edge of the private property for the cabin right below the dam? Hmm, those cabins are all on land leased from the forest service aren't they? That probably doesn't work. I suppose the chance of getting any kind of permit from FS is about nil. I could come up and pretend I was lost and flag the sh*t out of it.:face-icon-small-win
Luckily I know where your place is and I can find it! Ha! We'll try parking there and riding out from your place. We've never done that before.

Those are the cabins Mark has been giving us. You mean the FS owns them????:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho

No wonder he gives us such great service. HAHA:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Sam

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
If cateye is refering to the Arch Slough (just above Hotel Twin lake) as the dam/cabin, that land is privately owned, not USFS lease. All the cabins around Hotel Twin, and from Hotel Twin, including Alexander, behind Alexander Lodge, north side of Baron, and north side Eggleston, are on private land. When you ride the road from Arch Slough to Alexander Lodge, you are on someone else's road. We need to respect that, so the owners will allow us to continue to use that road. When you cut between cabins, or run up the hill north of Hotel Twin, you are on private land.

Mark, Why/how could the USFS complain about your sign on Arch Slough? As cateye mentioned, there has to be a boundary in there somewhere.

CANNONMAN

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Colorado/Wisconsin
www.thundermountainlodge.net
The FS said I had to take down the sign & Banner I put up in Nov. on the water shutoff on the dam. They indicated the land was theirs. I am now learning and am trying to verify, but it appears the dam belongs to Denver Water. If that is the case the signs will be going back up! I am getting real tired of the FS if you can't tell already. The rest of the cabins around there are on the Grand Mesa Resort Co. and it is all private land as 03RMK800 mentioned above. His description of the private area is very accurate. In their bylaws they do not allow any signage.

Last edited:

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
The FS said I had to take down the sign & Banner I put up in Nov. on the water shutoff on the dam. They indicated the land was theirs. I am now learning and am trying to verify, but it appears the dam belongs to Denver Water. If that is the case the signs will be going back up! I am getting real tired of the FS if you can't tell already. The rest of the cabins around there are on the Grand Mesa Resort Co. and it is all private land as 03RMK800 mentioned above. His description of the private area is very accurate. In their bylaws they do not allow any signage.

Oh that's right! I forgot they were all owned by the Grand Mesa Resort Co.! I should have remembered that. Too bad they don't allow signage. Don't get too down on the FS, I think they do a decent job of trying to balance motorized v. non-motorized use on the Mesa. (not perfect, but decent) At least some of them still act like they want us up there. Tough freaking job these days!

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
If cateye is refering to the Arch Slough (just above Hotel Twin lake) as the dam/cabin, that land is privately owned, not USFS lease. All the cabins around Hotel Twin, and from Hotel Twin, including Alexander, behind Alexander Lodge, north side of Baron, and north side Eggleston, are on private land. When you ride the road from Arch Slough to Alexander Lodge, you are on someone else's road. We need to respect that, so the owners will allow us to continue to use that road. When you cut between cabins, or run up the hill north of Hotel Twin, you are on private land.
Mark, Why/how could the USFS complain about your sign on Arch Slough? As cateye mentioned, there has to be a boundary in there somewhere.

I did not know that, Oops! No more of that....

Premium Features