• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GPS Lost and Found

C

CATKILLER

Dec 6, 2007
ANCHORAGE,AK
my friend lost his garmin gps in some alders in petersville last weekend its the garmin 12 map gps black in color please let me know if this is what your found thanks

my number is 306-2386

R
Nov 23, 2001
Sterling, AK
I found a GPS on a trail in the Petersville Area. Describe the GPS unit and the location where it was lost to assure its safe return to the rightful owner.

There was a guy at Kenny Creek Lodge talking to the owners about losing his GPS on Saturday. I know he left his phone number with them, so if he has not claimed it yet you could call the Lodge for the guys name and number.

Awesome that you are trying to return it! :beer;

O

onh2o

Jan 13, 2008
I think the owner of the GPS has been found, but they haven't returned my call yet. More to follow...

O

onh2o

Jan 13, 2008
The owner of the GPS has been contacted, and arrangements for the return have been made. He is the one who posted the craigslist add and the one who left his name and number at Kenny Creek Lodge. Thanks for the leads...

K
Jan 23, 2009
Way to go, good work, way to be a stand up honest guy. I wish I knew more people like you. My name is Mark, and I ride a 40th/white Yamaha Nytro, if I ever see you at one of the lodges look me up, I'll buy ya a beverage of your choice myself. Great story..........

Reactions: Prayn4snow

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
Awesome!

My family spent the last couple days in Petersville as well, in preparation for the trip I built a nice handle bar mount for my Garmin GPSMap 76CX, but I retained the factory cradle. It looked a little sketchy so I made up a nice tether out of Dacron fishing line and some stainless snap swivels. I rode two full days of heavy alder bashing with no problems, good to go right?!

WRONG!

Late one afternoon I looked down to check my location and the GPS was gone. I was devastated, that thing has been with me through thick and thin and I had a lot of new waypoints that I hadn't downloaded into my PC. I knew the chances of me ever seeing it again were one in a million as I couldn't remember the last time I had looked at it. But, I figured I run back down the last hill we went up and back down the trail a mile, then up the last hill we went down. I was comfortable with that being a big enough search area.

I looked and looked until some of our group came back to see where I was, a good 20 minutes. They started poking around carefully where they thought it most likely I lost it and I went back down the hill to search some other areas. A good half hour of trudging through the snow and alders I was ready to give up. I had no idea where the GPS might have fallen off and felt like I was wasting everyones time so I gave up. I stepped off my sled to go tell them to stop looking and promptly fell down. My arm went out to keep from doing a head plant and my hand landed on something hard.

There it was... not 3" under the snow. What are the odds?

Not related to a GPS, but the day before I shot a nice Ptarmigan and strapped it to the back of my sled with a bungee cord. A half hour later we stopped for lunch and I noticed the bird was gone! I scarfed my lunch down and went back to see if I could find it. Good luck right? A pure white bird among a dozen fresh tracks zig zagging around the several hundred acres we just covered in the last half hour?

I spent a good half hour riding around slowly looking for any sign of the bird. Nothing. I was back tracking for the second time when our group showed up and headed off to go ride again. We made a big loop and completely by accident we ended up running back through the little drainage I had lost the bird in. One of our group started waving to me so I went over to see what was wrong. He tossed me the bird!

He had stopped to adjust his goggles and just as he was about to drive off, he stood up and looked down. There it was!

Now, what are the odds of us finding the Bird and the GPS! Of all the times I've ridden Petersville, never have we backtracked. We always make big loops so we don't have to ride the same terrain twice, but for some reason we did this time.

O
Mar 19, 2009
My Kids lost my Garmin Rhino 130

I found a GPS on a trail in the Petersville Area. Describe the GPS unit and the location where it was lost to assure its safe return to the rightful owner.

My son lost my Garmin rhino 130 GPS in Petersville. If that's what you found if you turn it on my user name in the Garmin is Paul and it should register. also it should be tuned in to GMRS radio frequency 20.1 If this is the one you found please post reply .

O

onh2o

Jan 13, 2008
My son lost my Garmin rhino 130 GPS in Petersville. If that's what you found if you turn it on my user name in the Garmin is Paul and it should register. also it should be tuned in to GMRS radio frequency 20.1 If this is the one you found please post reply .

No, it wasn't a Garmin Rhino. The GPS I found has been returned to its owner.

Premium Features