• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Government Predicts a Warmer Winter for Us?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Nov 28, 2007
Anchorage, AK
"WASHINGTON -- Winter looks likely to be mild in the Midwest, dry in the Southeast and warmer than normal in Alaska, the government said Thursday.

Most of Alaska is expected to be warmer than normal,

The rest of the country, including Alaska and Hawaii, have equal changes of wetter, dryer or normal conditions."

The forecasters said long-term forecasts are especially challenging this year because neither the El Nino or La Nina conditions are under way in the Pacific Ocean.

Michael Halpert, deputy director of the Climate Prediction Center, said, "We expect variability, or substantial changes in temperature and precipitation across much of the country."

Soooooo, according to the confident professionals, it appears we may be looking at wetter, dryer, or normal precipitation, but warmer than normal temperatures. Thanks ADN, that was very infomative.

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
LOL written by a true democrat I bet..

Bring on the global warming it was -26f this morning.

Dec 8, 2007
National Centers for Environmental Prediction
5200 Auth Road
Camp Springs, Maryland 20746

These dudes are in Maryland? Same guys that head for Starbucks,and break out the firewood when it drops below 52 deg. It's articles like this that I reminicse about while passing the flasks next to the snow stake at Turny that reflects 11ft of snow(In April) I've heard rumors that the NOAA:beer; was the original inventor of the penis ruler? Same model they use at the Eureka lodge-to measure/predict snowfall.

H
Oct 8, 2003
Anchorage, AK
ahh the good old penis ruler. I heard that tracksusa will throw one in for free with any purchase of a 174" track...

per the farmer's almanac we're supposed to recieve higher than average snowfall this year.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Same model they use at the Eureka lodge-to measure/predict snowfall.

Your right on the mark with that one. Every time I would call before heading there last year, they would say "Yah, we just got dumped on" when we arrive we found out "dumped on" = 2"......oh well gas is cheap here in AK right:rolleyes:

A
Nov 26, 2007
Wasilla, Alaska
Pretty sure the 174 tracks are on the way but penis ruler's are backordered pending the financial bailout

Bwa hahaha....nice.... (Translation) yes we know all there is about the climate yet we cant predict the weather 6 hours from now unless of course its already happening....so I predict the temperature will change tomrrow with partly somthing skies and a chance of somthing. I let you know when it happens.:D

A
Dec 11, 2007
Well if anyone remembers, this is exactly what they said last year.

If I remember correctly, it was SICK last year down south, and Paxson rocked during Arctic Man!!!

Lets keep those El Nino and all of her awesome friends doing what they do, and LET IT SNOW!!!

BTW, I just ordered the Klim Gortex cover for my penis ruler:D

Don't be mad if I got the last XXX long model. You snooze you loose:D

Do you have to put your ruler on your ski rack on the subaru??? Watch out for those Sierra Club ladies they might try to steal it:beer;

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
Mag you live in North Pole. I had -3 at my house Steel Creek area CHSR.

We're out on the Tanana behind the old eskimo museum, no ice fog in the winter and I can ride the river right from the house! :D

L

Letitsnow***907

Jan 9, 2008
Soldotna, Alaska
Incredible amount of snow predicted!

Here at the Alaska snow prediction center (ASPC) we are predicting an incredible amount of snow in the region above 1500 feet. Better tune up your sleds good and have your snobunje ready, cause its going to be DEEP!

It is going to be a fantastic year to ride!

See you in the mountains!

A

AkSummit

Nov 28, 2007
ALASKA
thats cool but i think a subaru baja with a sled deck would be the way to go

Subaru's are overated now- The new thing are Aveo's, you just strap the sled to the top, and your off! It cost only $4.00 to get to Turny and back.

chevy-aveo-f3q.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features