• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

? Good lightweight rear skid and suspention for a RX1

A cheap way to go is to use a Cat M series rear skid. I did in mine and it worked pretty darn well and it was only a couple hundred bucks. You set the skid back from stock and it improves your approach angle. I bought a 141" Cat skid and it worked perfect for a 151" track. Once I added a 16" wide 162 Camo Extreme I had to add rail extensions. So, if you want a 162" go ahead and buy a 153' Cat skid.

You understand if you lighten the rear of the sled, the front will feel heavier? Take as much weight off the front as possible to get a better "balance". Sled will feel lighter. Until you get stuck then it's still a big girl!

I did the same with my RX1M by putting a Cat M8 141 skid with anti stabs and fabbed aluminum drop brackets. I think it dropped 25lbs at least. I ran my 2" Challenger on it with a Hartman tunnel extension. The front does still feel a little heavy. One guy I know did the same mod, but lowered the front bolt by an inch and the sled transferred better and felt lighter on the front. I used the stock mounting holes in the front but the rear holes were obviously in a different location. No issues and the sled and suspension is still going strong.

Fairly simple mod to do, but go with the later model M series skid with the updated rails so the track doesn't go bango tight on compression.

Premium Features

Back