• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Going where ever in Michigan for good off trail riding

800PowerFanatic

Aug 31, 2010
Buffalo, MN
We are planning on going somewhere for good snow and off trail riding in Michigan but have never been there can someone point me to a good area please.

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
Keweenaw is great, but there is not much public land. You either have to know where to go or just be satisfied with logging roads off the trails (still a ton of fun). The area between Munising and Grand Marais has arcres of boondocking, just take a gps with you.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
Lately I haven't had to leave the Sault in order to have fun off trail. A lot of flat fields here but packed full of fresh snow to carve up.

mwboondockers

Midwest Boondocker’s
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Trempealeau,Wis.
powder riding in march in Houghton?

We want to come up to the Houghton area in mid march is there typically good powder yet or is that too late in the year? We usually go out west in march but it just wont work this year in the spring and Houghton is only a few hours from home, any input would be great. Thanks.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
We want to come up to the Houghton area in mid march is there typically good powder yet or is that too late in the year? We usually go out west in march but it just wont work this year in the spring and Houghton is only a few hours from home, any input would be great. Thanks.

You should still be able to ride mid march up that way but it might be to the point where the snow is a little heavy. Only one way to find out!!!

doodah

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2008
Fremont Wisconsin
You'll be fine in March. Our last ride last year was the last weekend in April if I remember rite. Rode in t-shirts all day.

R
Dec 23, 2013
I usually look at hardcore sledder for the MI threads as there is not much on here usually. Anyways if your going off trail look just south of the Keewenaw there are a few guys that guide out there too. It may be worth the money so that your not riding the same tracked out places every other person is riding because those are the only spots that you can see from the trail. Great places to ride out there tho for sure, they have been getting hammered with snow. I am heading out there next weekend and will give you a heads up.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Stay south of Houghton, Mass City to South Range is best. Powder isn't so great currently but lots of freshies in the woods. I've made 10 trips up there so far this year, making my 11th next weekend.

Premium Features