• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Glide crack at turny!!!!!!!!!

R

RamrodAK1

Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, AK
OK for everyone that loves the back bowls at turny Please be carefull. The Crack is about 40 foot long right were the 99 avy was on the front face. There was 18 in. of fresh wet heavy snow from last night. It was bluebird for a couple of hours then started to snow again. So it may get filled in and now longer visible anymore. Its up high to the left of the first bench. The flats were great today. We stayed away from front face today. Johnsons was dark and gloomy and snowing all day so we didnt go in there.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
OK for everyone that loves the back bowls at turny Please be carefull. The Crack is about 40 foot long right were the 99 avy was on the front face. There was 18 in. of fresh wet heavy snow from last night. It was bluebird for a couple of hours then started to snow again. So it may get filled in and now longer visible anymore. Its up high to the left of the first bench. The flats were great today. We stayed away from front face today. Johnsons was dark and gloomy and snowing all day so we didnt go in there.

ramrod..great info..do everyone a favor and file a report on that with chugiach avalanche center..hopefully it will get out to more people that way..we dont need another huge killer avy at turny(or anywhere for that matter)

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Ramrod, Did you report your finding on the chugach avy website? They have a link to report those kinds of things. If it is that bad, and in that spot, I would take the time to make the report.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Thanks for posting that update! I lost a good friend up there in 99. He was taking a break down lower and hardly seen it coming before it was to late...
Info like this and the Avy web sites may have saved many of them.
R.I.P Vic

Dec 8, 2007
Thanks

I was there today, people still trying to push over today, and yes it still looks like a frsh peice of pie west of the bench.

R

RamrodAK1

Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, AK
There today also. The crack is still there but not as visible as yesterday. got about 4 inches of fresh last night. I hope it sets up before it slides.

D
Feb 17, 2009
Anchorage
We were there today.. You really cant see it anymore, and yes people are making it up and over. We were itching to go but felt it is still just so sketch. Stayed on the front side and help'd dig a nice 120 foot'r just down from the 110. Should be sick 2morrow. You dont have to go all the way over to catch some SICK FREESTYLE WHILE LIVIN THE HIGH LIFE!!!!:cool:

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
It would be nice (wishful thinking) if it fell overnight with more snow so no one would get hurt. It is great people are posting updates on here, but unfortunate not everyone searches for info before riding there. If you see people in the parking lots unloading...pass on what you know.

A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
It would be nice (wishful thinking) if it fell overnight with more snow so no one would get hurt. It is great people are posting updates on here, but unfortunate not everyone searches for info before riding there. If you see people in the parking lots unloading...pass on what you know.

Very true, actually just before i left the parking lot to ride, a forest ranger guy came over and talked to me about it. he was very cool about it. I was surprised he was has nice as he was.

Dec 2, 2007
Soldotna
Have some common sense

We were there on Saturday with 22X and his son and we watched not 1, not 2, not 3 but 4 riders on the same hill on the face at the same time. It was wet heavy snow and i just couldn't believe what I was watching. We played the tree's and valleys and it was great. On the way out there was the Johnson Pass rumor or a avy. So sad to see people playing on the big slopes and one can only assume that they all had beacons :rolleyes: :(

Premium Features