• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

garage floor coating?

M

mtn.missle

Not sure if this is the right spot to post this but I'm looking to seal my garage floor with probably an epoxy?, it's about 31'x22' it is new (no vehicles) priced the rust-oleum product from one of the box stores and would be around $300 any one have any experience with these? I know there's much better stuff available but l will have limited funds to work with. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Not sure if this is the right spot to post this but I'm looking to seal my garage floor with probably an epoxy?, it's about 31'x22' it is new (no vehicles) priced the rust-oleum product from one of the box stores and would be around $300 any one have any experience with these? I know there's much better stuff available but l will have limited funds to work with. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I am an industrial painting contractor. work with epoxy 100 days outta the year. I do not recommend using epoxy if you are going to be driving sleds on it. And especially not from a big box store. The homeowner stuff doesn't have much 'stick' compared to what is available to contractors. to get industrial grade material, you'll have to get in touch with the representative from a local supplier (sherwin williams, hirshfields, pittsburgh, dunn edwards etc etc)

The reason I don't recommend epoxy is because your carbides WILL cut through it, its not invincible. Now if everything is gonna be wheeled in an out, thats fine go for it. But otherwise your gonna want to look for something that is more of a penetrating sealer than a film builder.

:cheer2::cheer2:

Recently had the office in our farm shop done with these products. Expensive but very durable, lifetime protection. It seals and becomes harder than the concrete itself in like 72 hours, hard enough to walk on in 24 hours. Your carbides will not cut into this stuff. Battery acid is the only thing that will have an effect on it and apparently it just yellows it. Soapy cleaners may dull the finish as well over time. Very grippy, looks smooth, but fairly easy to clean with just water and a mop. If you go a route similar to this, it will be the last time you do anything to your floor. Might wanna look for a company near you that does similar work.

http://www.premiergarage.com/flooring.asp

Giuy I know has snow slides or whatever they are called (the trailer glide thingies, black with grooves) installed on his new garage floor with concrete screws, loosely so they can float around a little. VERY nice setup, drive in, drive out with no carbide wear or floor damage.

Check out these guys,

https://rocksolidfloors.com/

It's not epoxy and doesn't have the application restrictions most epoxy's have. My uncle and his neighbor both did their garages with this stuff and have been happy with it. I'm leaning towards this stuff myself.

Last edited:
I have done alot of diferent things to seal concrete floors but for the money it is very hard to beat Day-chem J-35 Tuf-seal for a work shop floor.It is a clear spray on penetrating sealant so your floor will still look like concrete but with a nice glosy shine.
It will not soak up oil gas or antifreeze it will show scratches but not much easier than concrete and the best part is if the scratches ever start to bother you just clean and dry your floor and spray a touchup coat,try that with epoxy!

Spray on with any good quality hand pump sprayer. The J-35 is available online or at your local concrete supply store not box store.I think two coats looked great wen I did my shop floor last week. shop your size should take five or six gallons!:pop2:

In the last house I had we hired a commercial company to come in and lay down an epoxy floor.

ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!
Plan on doing it again when I build our new garage here in Idaho.

But like one of the previous posters said, WATCH OUT for your carbides.
Make SURE you have wheels on your skis whenever you move them or they WILL SLICE through the coating.

Other than that, it is SO NICE to have that coating on the floor.
Makes clean up a snap!

timbersled-1.jpg

Best thing I have found is to have the floor ground and polished. They put a poly film sealer on it and that is pretty much indestructible. Floor looks great, super easy to sweep and clean and there is no surface material to chip or scrape off. About every 10 years you can do a burnish and it will shine like new again. In commercial applications we do the burnish every 5 years or so. Carbides will still scratch the crap out of any floor, I really like those plastic ski booties for protecting floors and moving sleds around.

In the last house I had we hired a commercial company to come in and lay down an epoxy floor.

ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!

Make SURE you have wheels on your skis whenever you move them or they WILL SLICE through the coating.

Makes clean up a snap!

Are those the Timbersled dollies?

Can you actually run those across gravel or your lawn like they say?

Yes to both questions.
Maybe I should do a review of them.
Problem is COST.
They are just SOOOO pricey..

16-sb-001-2[1].jpg

I learned from a builder friend of a nice trick for epoxy using sherwin williams epoxy for floors.

I dont have the exact name but it is similar to this http://www.sherwin-williams.com/pai...coatings/commercial-highperformance-coatings/

Its what they use on tanker ships, roller coasters, bridges, etc. that will be in the extreme weather and wear.

We did our shop floor with it last year and it looks great. BUT studs and carbides do rough it up a bit. But you can do multiple coats to thicken it up which is what a lot of companys do when your going to be using heavy weight on them such as forklifts, cranes, etc.

Check out these guys,

https://rocksolidfloors.com/

It's not epoxy and doesn't have the application restrictions most epoxy's have. My uncle and his neighbor both did their garages with this stuff and have been happy with it. I'm leaning towards this stuff myself.

I have been looking at the Rock Solid garage urethane coatings at Menards also and plan on doing my furnace room floor and garage floor with it this summer.

Good Luck

I had someone do mine and I found out the key to the epoxy coating was, preparation. 30x30 garage was $1600.00
The guys first took bleach and scrubbed my concrete with a stiff brush, then pressure washed it at 4000 psi, next a acid solution was applied and scrubbed with a wire metal brush, then pressure washed again at 4000 psi and the last step was to bleach, scrub and pressure wash again.
They then let it dry overnight the next day they used 3M products to color coat the floor (I chose dark blue with white flakes) this was allowed to dry overnight and then a thick clear coat was applied the following day.
Installers recommended that it not be driven on for a 7 day period. I waited 10 just to be safe.
4 years later I just mop and glow the floor and it looks almost new. Scratches in the clear are inevitable. wish I would have done it right away.
See 1st picture where installer was standing, that is how dirty the 10 year old floor was.
Second picture 1/2 the garage done.

New floor, make sure its fully cured out, about a month old, minimum.
New floors are easier to prep becasue no old oil stains, etc.
Prep, start by blowing/sweeping it out. Get all oil spots gone with some good solvent, completely.
Acid wash the floor with the Home depot stuff or save some $ and mix HCl, muratic acid at 10:1 spray it on, scrub well with a stiff broom. Wash/flush, powerwash completely. Dont get the muratic acid on any concrete you dont want etched.
I've used an industrial epoxy on several floors now. Sherwin Williams Macro Poxy 646. Great stuff. Wears very well. 2 coats, rolls on pretty easy. Do the gas curbs, corners, edges first. If you want it to go really quick, buy a 18" roller.
Carbides will tear up anything, so plan on being anal about your floor if you want it to stay good looking. Dollies are cheap for your skis.
My only suggestion would be to use a dark gray/brown that matches the dirt color around the house. I've done a light/med gray every time and it shows dirt drug in.
This stuff is not cheap, but it's worth it over the box store stuff. If you know a commercial painter, use them to get a discount. I've been able to get it for around $100 a gal this way, about 1/2 price.

Epoxy flooring has been used in commercial and industrial buildings for many years to protect the floor. So, if you are also planning to have epoxy flooring in your space, then you must choose professionals who can deliver quality end results. if you are planning to have epoxy flooring for your factory, warehouse, or any commercial building, garage, consider Ressichem for buying colourful epoxy flooring materials. Visit Website Construction & Building Materials

I did my 80 x 80 shop with rust oleum 5 years ago and has been good. It is wearing some in high traffic areas but I expect that. Friend does this for his main business recommendation for rust oleum. He said when you think you have the floor clean power wash it 2 more times.

ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!

Makes clean up a snap! polyaspartic flooring toronto
I’ll be starting a garage build here very soon and starting to consider what I should coat the floor with before I start moving in equipment and cars. What’s your experience and suggestions for products and techniques? Epoxy? Something else? I’m going to use a very light color for light reflection properties. Thanks for any tips!

I’ll be starting a garage build here very soon and starting to consider what I should coat the floor with before I start moving in equipment and cars. What’s your experience and suggestions for products and techniques? Epoxy? Something else? I’m going to use a very light color for light reflection properties. Thanks for any tips!

Premium Features

Back