• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fuel Gauge on MFD

Jan 12, 2010
Finger Lakes, NY
As I write this it 17 Degrees outside and the Lake Effect is cranking off of Lake Ontario...:amen:I am in the midst of the preseason work and I noticed my fuel gauge is not reading correctly....the MFD reads differently than what is in the tank...
i.e.: Full tank reads only 1/2 or 1/4 full and anything below a half tank reads essentially empty.
Does any one have a idea where to start on the diagnosis and the fix.
Thanks,
Marc

M

Mech Engr

Sep 27, 2010
Mountains
fuel gauge

Mine didn't work at all when I got my RMK 900. I took the tank off without disconnecting the fule lines (huge pain) and repaired the float. Same as almost any float on any vehicle...little spring metal piece isn't touching the contacts (in your case intemittent contact). I simply bent the spring metal piece back and my fuel guag is good as new! However, please go and buy the fuel line disconnect tools at Kragen ar Napa for $8 and disconnect the lines! It will be much easier. Search fuel lines RMK 900 and you'll see the tools I'm talking about.

Big John:face-icon-small-coo

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
I dont remember which one it is but some guys were using mechanical fuel gauges. That completely fixes the problem. The digital gauges were almost all off.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
There is a recall on the float. Have your local dealer check the VIN on your sled and see if it has been done. You can get the part for about $15 and do it yourself if you want.

M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
I hate taking the tank off and disconnecting all the fuel lines... I've done it too many times, my knuckles are scared for life. I like the idea of a mechanical gauge. Any more on this?? My fuel gauge is acting up again too. Maybe cause my skis are in the air to much.:face-icon-small-sho

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I hate taking the tank off and disconnecting all the fuel lines... I've done it too many times, my knuckles are scared for life. I like the idea of a mechanical gauge. Any more on this?? My fuel gauge is acting up again too. Maybe cause my skis are in the air to much.:face-icon-small-sho

Just get a gauge cap from a 2007-2010 sled... the tanks are the same height. Not sure about the threads though, I don't have one to verify they will physically twist on but I would be surprised if they changed the threads.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
I dont remember which one it is but some guys were using mechanical fuel gauges. That completely fixes the problem. The digital gauges were almost all off.

good call

LOL

Just get a gauge cap from a 2007-2010 sled... the tanks are the same height. Not sure about the threads though, I don't have one to verify they will physically twist on but I would be surprised if they changed the threads.

your right seth.

ALL Polaris products use the SAME thread pitch...so all the gas caps will work on other products, i verified this with my wifes polaris outlaw 500 and her old trailblazer, and the sleds...all the same pitch.

i might be doing the same thing but havent gotten around to doing it...with my trailtank conversion on my 05 975, i dont have the float on the dragon pump, so this is the only way to know how much fuel is in there, lol.

but to answer the much wanted question...

YES...the Dragon fuel level gauge WILL work on the 900s ;) :drum:

Premium Features