• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fuel Consumption, Turbo VS N/A

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
How much more gas/money are you spending at the end of the day since you guys added a turbo to your sled. Last season running a N/A I spent around $50 on average per ride, just trying to have a slight idea how much more ill be spending this year with boost.

I typically burn 7-9 gallons of 100LL a day, at $5.29 a gallon. So $50-$60 a day with oil cost included.

$10-$15 per day more than my stocker, and way more fun...

How much more gas/money are you spending at the end of the day since you guys added a turbo to your sled. Last season running a N/A I spent around $50 on average per ride, just trying to have a slight idea how much more ill be spending this year with boost.

Depends on how you ride. If you ride the same lines at the same speed as your n/a buddies, you'll use about the same fuel. If you just shoot straight up the slopes, then sit & watch while your n/a buddies pack down a path & finally make it up after 20 minutes, then you'll use a lot less fuel. But you, young grasshopper, will find something a little steeper & deeper... or take off from a standing start at the bottom of the hill (instead of getting that 30mph n/a run at it) so you trench in a little off the start and waive the skis in the air all the way up the hill... and more fun = more fuel. At 11psi, I normally use about 30% more than n/a sleds in my group. I'd like to use 50% more... but I only carry 2 gallons extra on the tunnel so I normally have to tone it down to n/a levels for the last hour or two of the day so I don't run out of fuel. :face-icon-small-ton

Depends on how you ride. If you ride the same lines at the same speed as your n/a buddies, you'll use about the same fuel. If you just shoot straight up the slopes, then sit & watch while your n/a buddies pack down a path & finally make it up after 20 minutes, then you'll use a lot less fuel. But you, young grasshopper, will find something a little steeper & deeper... or take off from a standing start at the bottom of the hill (instead of getting that 30mph n/a run at it) so you trench in a little off the start and waive the skis in the air all the way up the hill... and more fun = more fuel. At 11psi, I normally use about 30% more than n/a sleds in my group. I'd like to use 50% more... but I only carry 2 gallons extra on the tunnel so I normally have to tone it down to n/a levels for the last hour or two of the day so I don't run out of fuel. :face-icon-small-ton

Well the plan is to have my N/A buddies watching at the bottom of the slope when im wheeling through the trees going higher then they ever could... So I think that answers how I plan to ride... The kit runs 8-15psi, ill start out on 8psi pump gas get the kit fully tuned, make my buddies jealous, then once I get bored of that crank it up into the double digits and bring out the race gas.

I don't have a straight up comparison, but I feel really good about my fuel consumption. I have ridden mod big bores for years. I used to always pack fuel.

With my TM8 I found I didn't have to any more. I'm sure I use a bit more than the NA sleds in my group, but it sure isn't like the old days of coming back on a rope out of fuel.

These things are so stupid powerful that you don't need to run with full throttle most of the time.

Don't kid your self if your a rider and not a sitter your going to use quite a bit more fuel that's all there is to it.And the more boost the more fuel I have used 15 gallons in 5 hours at 14 psi before but I move alot.you'll know the truth when you do it.

Depending on how you ride the sled is a huge factor. I was on turbo last year and would burn one third more fuel then just about anyone in my group (10 guys) the last day of our trip in west Yellowstone I rode a bone stock M8 and burned even more fuel then I did on a average day with the turbo all week.

On average for me though? I'll burn a full tank of gas as well as burn through my 3.5 extra gallons before most guys in my group have even put their extra gas in. you won't however find me taking to many breaks throughout the riding day, I usually don't do a whole lot of watching(except when climbing of course!) I'm almost always playing around.

Don't kid your self if your a rider and not a sitter your going to use quite a bit more fuel that's all there is to it.And the more boost the more fuel I have used 15 gallons in 5 hours at 14 psi before but I move alot.you'll know the truth when you do it.

If you're a rider, you're going to burn way more fuel NA than the NA watchers. We all have those I burned fuel stories. I once used all my fuel breaking a big pow trail in to the lake for only 9 miles on a NA 700 cat.

The point I was trying to make is compared to a group of NA sleds that I often ride with, I don't have to burn much more fuel to ride with them and play where they play, even with the show off pulls and letting some of them play on my sled. On those rides, I just don't have worry about fuel like I used to with any my old mods.

When I ride with exclusively turbos and we are playing or messing with each other hard, fuel consumption is a pot load higher and I will pack extra.. If I know I'm riding with any TM1000/1200s I definely don't bother taking extra fuel...they are out long before me...

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back