• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fox Float 3 (Burandt signature), Raptors or Exits on 36"

I have a 2013 RMK Assualt with a 2.5 challenger extreme track. I wasn't a fan of the 41.5" stance so I Just ordered a set of Alt impact 36" a-arms and a used sway bar off of a Pro. I looked into getting my WE's shortened to the 16 5/8" required length but its expensive to do.
Now I'm left with buying new shocks and selling my old set up. So I'm wondering what shock I should go with?

Fox Evol Float 3's (Burandt Signatures)
- Not sure about having to carry a pump around
- Not sure about the shafts being susceptible to chips and dings when on the trailer and/or trees
- 6lbs lighter is a plus though
- Cheapest option for me

Raptors
- Have only heard good reviews
- Heavier than the air shocks

Exits
- Have only heard good reviews
- Heavier

What shock would you go with for the 36" stance and sway bar?

I am sure any of the three will work just fine, personally I am not a fan of air shocks though.

I also am a fan of all three...they all work well.

Plus... I have had very good experiences with the Floats on Pro's and Dragons.

What this thread will turn into, for the most part, is people cheering for their favorite brand of shock or the one that they put the money into for their own ride.

For the most part, an adjustable shock for 90% of the mountain riders is not needed.

This year I'm running 2 different setups on my sled this season... One... the Fox Float3 EVOL-R's with the T-Sled SRA A-Arms... and Raptor triple rate springs on the 2014 Pro RMK Walker Evans shocks with TRS's valving on the Z-Broz 36" Arms. ... but have had all three on my sleds and would run all three again.
The Walkers I had serviced, re-valved and the body/shaft shortened to be able to run proper ride height on the RMK with the Z-Broz arms.

I had Andy at Gas Shock Repair Take care of all the Walker Shock services I needed. Fast turnaround and excellent prices... He even caught some problems I didn't know about.

Also note that to get proper ride height from the 36" wide fronts (Z-Broz and Alt Impact) ... you have to run a shorter than stock shock.... with 16.25" being the ideal... (3/8" less than stock, which is 16-5/8", if you have a 2011 or 2012 PRO RMK... they will need to be shortened by 1-1/4")

Last edited:
Biltit, that Kmod set up looks great, but it was a bit out of my price range. Mountainhorse ,thanks for the info, that is the first I have heard of having to go to 16.25" with the 36" kits. Do you know if the floats can be ordered in that length or would i have to have them shortened?
I am leaning towards a set of raptors just to be able to quick adjust for the rough trail on the way back to the parking lot.

Hey guys I just want to clear the fog a bit here and explain a little about how and why we designed our front end kits the way we did and to maybe put an end to the misconception of the 16.250'' shock length, or any other. ''THE BEST'' all around shock length for ''OUR'' 36'' kit is 16.625'' (2013-15 pro RMK). Will this increase front ride height...yes very slightly. Noticeable...? by 99% of the guys or gals out there...no. Can I tell the difference, honestly, no. So with that said this leads us to why. With the amount of guys going to the 3X tracks (awesome improvement for certain conditions) this raises our stock rear height by +1/2''. More than what was increased in the front ( assuming its sitting flat on the floor). There back to stock, sort of if you want to split hairs. please no debates on the 3'' track, I know its not for everyone including myself In all conditions. Now I cannot speak for any other 36" kits besides my own, but ours will also work with 2012 (17.5'') shocks and I have more than just a few running this. Is it ideal.. definitely not. Will you have any other issues (steering binding, rubbing, clearance issues) other than excessive ski pressure and front ride height, no, other than we have seen on a couple sleds where the sway bar link was not long enough, in which case we have extensions. AGAIN not recommended, but these are the guys that cant or do not want to spend another 1k on a shock package, so it makes it possible for them to narrow up affordably. Air shocks do an incredible job at compensating for small amounts of ride height, and keep in mind Raptors and all other higher end shocks can easily be shortened for a reasonable cost. Thanks for reading, please pass this along...!

Dan

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back