• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fork in the road - Sled re-build or part out

FocusJR

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2010
Ogden, UT
I am in the middle of a project. I have a 2011 M8 Sno Pro with 3800 miles on it. The left ski got ripped off putting a small crack on the front of the chassis, handle bar post snapped, and the rear tunnel extension/bumper took a pretty good hit bending the tunnel cooler and slightly bending the main tunnel (see pic).

I started the project thinking new a-arms and a tunnel extension/bumper/tail light and I have my sled back and running.

Now that I got into it, I am between transferring to a new 2011 black chassis (which I happened to have) or just parting it out and start looking for my next ride. Either way I would probably sell it after this season and look for a different sled in the spring/fall. If I put it back together I would go through everything to get back to snuff (i.e. DD, top end, skid, shocks, etc).

If I part it out I would like to get $4k for the parts or $+6k for the sled back together working. I've never parted a sled, but have sold a fair share of parts in the past.

I am at the point where I would need to order parts or keep tearing it down and get on c-list and a different section of the forums.

Any tips or ideas on which is the better route?

IMG_5241.jpg Tunnel Bend.jpg IMG_5245.jpg

Last edited:

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
I'd say if you have the chassis put it together. I've built a few sleds and parted out a couple. Parting out a sled is a lot of work when you are taking pictures, listing the parts, answering questions, boxing them up and shipping them.

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
and dont forget the full coverage this time.
what would the 200 bucks have put u over the edge?
u would be sitting on a 7k check right now with a 2000k or less by back option

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Dude that thing is going to be so clean and black and beautiful when you're done :)

S
Feb 20, 2012
and dont forget the full coverage this time.
what would the 200 bucks have put u over the edge?
u would be sitting on a 7k check right now with a 2000k or less by back option

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Maybe he bought a totaled sled, and is thinking of fixing it up to make a few $$$'s but the further he gets in it, the more issues he's seeing.

FocusJR

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2010
Ogden, UT
Decision made

Okay, everyone backed up my preference. Looks like the sled will get new life. Time to order some parts.

Thanks everyone!

ilovepowder

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2009
Cold Spring mn
stores.ebay.com
I part out sleds and atv. I say fix it. If you dont part things out it will be a huge pain for you to do it and in the end say it was worth it unless of course your time is worth nothing to you. Rebuilding it will give you satisfaction and you will be able to ride it knowing what you have. Who knows what you will get if you buy a used sled.

Premium Features