• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ford 6.0 Ughh

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Anybody have experience with the 6.0 PSD?
My father just bought his first diesel 2 weeks ago, and it's a beautiful 2006 F350 crew cab dually lariat LOADED, has the tow boss package, dual alts, tow command/upfitter switches, sunroof, 2 tone paint, I mean it is LOADED.

Day 1 we drive it home, and the low oil pressure light comes on, take it in the next morning and 14 qts of oil blow out of the top of the motor in the dealers service bay. Dealer says a sensor wasn't hooked up when they did the oil change and get it back on the road in 1 day.

Day 10, check engine light comes on, take to dealer, and they call saying the turbo needs to be rebuilt. Warranty takes care of it, and it is back on the road in 3 days (just picked it up yesterday afternoon).

The truck has 4:30 gears, so at hwy speeds the R's are up at 2200. Fuel mileage on the computer lyeometer say it averages 10mpg. Is this the fuel mileage these trucks get?????

My father seems disapointed with the truck, and bought it right, so he can get out of it fairly easy. In fact I think if he put it up for sale at the price he bought it for with tax/title included it would be gone in 2 days.

Should he stick it out, what can he do for fuel mileage increase? It has brand new stock tires, can he put larger tires on to override the 4:30 gears, if so whats the tallest tire???

scoop

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
idaho

6.0 fuel mileage suck. Mine runs 16 to 17 mpg empty, and on the hiway, 13 in town. But with any load at all, it drops to 10 to 11 mpg. So i could see this happening with low gears. As for the rest, i have had engine troubles since brand new. Over 60 work orders, three turbos several egr valves, at least 12 injectors, I cant even count how many reprograms, a fuel control module, one set of head gaskets. Its now is up on warrenty, so from now on its on my dime. It has 94000 miles and 6 months before its paid off, I hope to have a year or two of good luck, then trade for a cummins or duramax! If you have warrenty, cool!!! If your paying the repair bill, it gonna get old in a hurry! I know some people who have had almost no trouble, but I know no one who has had no trouble. Injectors are a given,they go out all the time. Mostly in the winter.... my experience......And the rest of the truck, ball joints in the front end @ 39000 miles, this cost $900.00 to fix, The front seals are out on the front end and are starting to leak lube out the axle tube, and the auto 4x4 hubs are leaking, have to turn in the hubs by hand, and the vacuum pump went out three times, @$300.00 a pop. alltho the last one of these i bought was from the wrecking yard for $30.....I guess for some reason, I have it stuck in my head that anything under 60000 miles should be like new and not break down. But this truck didnt fly like that. I had 10000 trouble free miles then down hill from there. I do have to say ford stuck behind all the engine problems. I wish I would have spent the extra 2000 for the extended warrenty, it dosent take much of a repair to cover that........good luck

Last edited:

scoop

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
idaho

There has never been a power issue with my 6.0. Infact it will out perform any 7.3 in the same form any day. Just the repair issuses and fuel mieage has been my only complaints......The 7.3 does get a little better mileage, but not much. I had one of these as well, so I been down this road as well.....

G

Good to Go

Banned
Nov 21, 2007
North Bend, WA
Got both (7.3's and 6.0's). Agreed, the 6 out pulls the 7 hands down. Mileage ain't great (I average 8.5 - 9.0 empty or loaded) but then I run around at a minimum of 17,000 #'s (obviously more when pulling trailers. Even at 30-33k, thr thing averages in the 8's for mileage). Change the gears. Seriously, why have low gears if you're not pulling or loaded 75% of the time or more?

All the last load of trucks have been good with minimual issues.

BTW, I've got one duramax too. Yea it's quiet, but it doesn't pull like our PSD's. That truck does well at around 16,000 #'s, but that's it. And the tranny behind that thing is maxed out at stock GCVW. Word from my transmission shop is the Allison's do great, until you put a real load behind it. Can't do. So, I keep that truck running light and it's done fine.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Actually, it went back in the shop today, and I haven't heard anything from him as to what the problem is.

I had a 7.3 in 01 and it was a great truck, got decent mileage, and I loved the motor.

I've since moved on to the 5.9 cummins and have had 2. I wish my father would have listened to me and bought one as-well, he doesn't like Dodge after his 05 1/2 ton hemi truck (it was a grocery getter POS). I tried telling him that the heavy duty rams are different but he was hell bent on the Ford of which I can't blame him they are a nice looking truck.

He called the dealer where he bought it, and told them all the problems. Dealer said he would call back with maybe a trade out. Wonder if dad can get the $4500 cash for clunker rebate. He was better off with his halfer hemi ram, at least it never went in shop.

G

Good to Go

Banned
Nov 21, 2007
North Bend, WA
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

Bahawahahahaha.... Gut buster... Gawd Dang...!! How come I've never heard of that..? Wow.:rolleyes:

:p

Truely, all the trucks have their good and bad points. Dodge has got a killer power plant. Rock solid, simple, long lasting with good power. But they haven't made a heavy truck for friggen years. They just last year came out with a 5500. And it's still got crappy body parts. Chevy has now got a smooth, quiet oil burner. 'bout time... it's a great toy hauler, vacation truck. But again, unless you go to that god awful looking 4500 med chassis, they've got no heavy trucks either.

So it really does depend on what your going to do with it. Daily driver, towing toys around, I'd look at the Duramax again (got one now). Towing RV's around the country on a steady basis, sitting with the wifey next to me, I'd entertain the Dodge big time. Work truck, the options limit real quick. (And no, I'm not talking about the guy who throws his tools in the back of his p/u truck, has a lumber rack, bounces along back roads visiting sites, whatever. I mean loaded, constantly working truck.)

What's your poison..?

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
6.0L was a trainwreck from day one. Looks great, sounds great, drives great when it runs (although loud compared to the newer dodges and GM's), but I think anyone who owns one outside of warranty is on heroin. I have seen warranty claims history on multiple 6.0's that total to more $$ than the truck costs new....yikes.

Last edited:

snowdog484

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Winsted, MN
Love my '05 350. It has 57,000 on it now, has had an ATS programmer since 1,000 miles. New head gasket at 30,000 and Ats head bolts(bit spendy but worth it) Ford was going to put the same sh!t back in.Also had a leaking boot on the turbo. 90% of the time i'm working it pulling skid loaders and dump trailers. Do not use it for driving to the shop from home or vice versa, love to drive it for fun don't get me wrong its a blast to drive. The mileage just isn't there at 30 miles one way from home to shop.
My buddy has a Duradud and its a nice truck, nothing against them, except this whole bailout mess but thats not the trucks fault. We were out west and use 2-ways in the vehicles and we all know there are some nice long pulls going up and down. We radio to them were are you guysand they say were coming just can't keep up!

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Buy the extended warrenty and dont worry about it.There are millions of them on the road.You could put bigger tires on but if you do alot of start and stop driving like in town or citythe lower gears might actually help your fuel economy.I would however stay away from a programmer unless you get head studs installed,Which cost 500 bucks but I think 5000 to get a mechanic to do it.

B
Jan 20, 2009
i'm a ford guy and I wont even touch a 6.0. Dont get a dodge unless you want to do a front end every month, I'd look for a D-max. I have friends with them and they are nice trucks

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
I have a 2005 6.0 and it has been nothing but problems since day one. It is a nice truck to drive when it is working but it hardly ever works! There has been over $40K worth of mechanical repairs in the last 20 months from two turbos, all eight injectors, two Fuel Injection Control Modules, three EGR coolers, two EGR valves, two cylinder heads, Head Gasket replaced three times, rear end, power steering pump, and the list goes on......

There is a fix, you HAVE to purchase and EGR delete kit but if you have emmisions testing in your area you will have to remove it before the test. Also the head studs need to be replaced with ARP head studs that have a much higher tensile strength than stock. The stock head studs are not strong and cause the cylinder head to warp if you do any heavy towing. The studs themselves are about $600 but it will cost about $3500.00 to $4000.00 to have them installed.

Premium Features