• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First ride on my XP...

Z
Jan 12, 2005
Hahns Peak, CO
I rode my XP-X/154 for the first time this weekend, rode up to 3-feet of fresh powder on the USFS road. No base, so I didn't want to chance it and stayed on the roads. The first day the sled felt very awkward, I even got back on my Rev which feels like it's an extension of my body, just to compare the two. But on the third day the XP started to feel real good. Had no problems pulling it over on it's side ...probably too easy since I planted it on its side and got stuck. I noticed the thing is more responsive, especially via weight transfer through your feet on the boards. I did go up one hill that I knew there were no hidden rocks or stumps and did feel the front end come up a little, but nothing too crazy. I have my limiter strap still factory set. The clutch did get hot, with the primary getting hotter then the secondary, but after three days on a combination of hard pack, wet heavy snow, and three feet of fresh powder, no clutch issues what so ever. Plus the belt still looks new. My XP feels like it's geared lower than my X-RS/151. ...more RPM and less speed, but it could be the break-in period causing the feeling? My clickers came from the factory set at 4. RPM held firm between 8150 and 8200 when in the deep or climbing at WOT. At the end of the third day, I could feel the power starting to come on strong, almost like my X-RS. I forgot to check, but I'm assuming I rode about 50 to 60 miles and at the end of the third day my low fuel warning light started to flash. When I filled the tank, I filled it just short of the top bar being lit on the gauge. I did notice that it showed full most of the time until I stuck it on its side, then it showed half a tank, and then started to drop as we continued to ride. Warning light would start to flash at one or two bars, and then go steady at zero bars, but then while going down a very slight decline, the gauge would show two or three bars again. I put in the $150 upgrade module (that should have been free with the X-package), so I could see the temperature, and it never got above three bars Three bars when riding the deep stuff, and two bars when riding on hard and loose pack.

The only problem I have so far is my left grip is not getting warm ...dead cold only! I heard severial people have this problem, is it a bad heating element, electrical problem, or a loose connection? I checked the connector under the cap that's on the handlebar.

W
Nov 26, 2007
Powville, WA and BC
Ski-doo in an effort to lose weight changed the handlebar material from steel to aluminum. As most know the conductive qualities of aluminum are much higher than steel. In knowing this ski-doo changed the whole hot grip system to work effectively on the aluminum bars. Obviously they made it with a built in fail mode. Thanks for the frostbite ski-doo. j/k This is one of things that I do not think is that big of deal, you should expect these small issues on a totally new model. They will do a recall in the next month or two.

Premium Features