• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ever hear of this?

A guy selling an 07 Summit X 800R said one time his battery died and he was unable to start the sled with the pull cord. He charged the battery and it fired right up. Everyone I have spoken to says this shouldn't be but can offer no explanation. So I put it to you. Thanks.

A guy selling an 07 Summit X 800R said one time his battery died and he was unable to start the sled with the pull cord. He charged the battery and it fired right up. Everyone I have spoken to says this shouldn't be but can offer no explanation. So I put it to you. Thanks.

yep..if it has electric start the battery has to be charged or it wont run..there is a jumper kit for it to eliminate the electric start if the battery goes dead...(at least that is what my buddys say of their 06 and 07 rev's with electric start...)

OK, so anyone have any info on the "jumper Kit". Any more you can tell me 'cause i've spoken to a handful of dealers and they all say it should start with the pull cord regardless of the condition of the battery. I can't seem to find info on this anywhere on the net. Thanks.

i just unhooked the battery from my 07 and got it to start on the 2nd pull. Wouldnt having to have the battery charge defeat the purpose of having a rope on those sleds then?

never heard of that on the carb sleds. This could be the case if it was the sdi or etec

If you pull hard enough they will start without the delete kit but you realy have to get the motor spinning, had a budy have this happen to him on his 06, the deler didnt even know about the delete kit then, lol

I found out the hard way when one of our 07's battery died in the backcountry and we couldn't get it to restart...it ended up being a real late night tow out and no fun at all.

After a lot of research and trial and error I found the problem. Logically most of us think that the battery is an optional accessory and the pull start will be there for a back-up if the battery dies....it is not the case.....

Here's the fix:

You will need to get the wire harness for the relay from the manual start sled....
CABLAGE CONF. *HARNESS-CONF. (Manual Start, Includes 22 to 29 )
they are a must have because your sled will not pull start with a dead battery, if your battery dies and you can't start the sled you can swap the e-start pigtail harness with the manual start harness in a few minuets.

link to fiche

I found out the hard way when one of our 07's battery died in the backcountry and we couldn't get it to restart...it ended up being a real late night tow out and no fun at all.

After a lot of research and trial and error I found the problem. Logically most of us think that the battery is an optional accessory and the pull start will be there for a back-up if the battery dies....it is not the case.....

Here's the fix:

You will need to get the wire harness for the relay from the manual start sled....
CABLAGE CONF. *HARNESS-CONF. (Manual Start, Includes 22 to 29 )
they are a must have because your sled will not pull start with a dead battery, if your battery dies and you can't start the sled you can swap the e-start pigtail harness with the manual start harness in a few minuets.

link to fiche

I see this is concerning the 07 mainly, I wonder if the same will apply for the new 2010's? I have a new one on order and I am just curious.

Well that really does suck if true on the 09s aw well. I cant think of many things dumber !! There should be a bypass switch or something installed by the factory !!

Ya, stupid isn't it. Funny thing is I phoned several dealers and they all made me feel like an idiot! Never heard of it they said. Oh well, hopefully it is just a matter of swapping the cable assemblies like snowbyrd said. but why do some guys 07's start with the battery disconnected and others don't? does it matter if the electric start is factory or aftermarket? what a weird problem with plenty of "fog" around it.

Premium Features

Back