• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ethanol fuel in non ethanol mode

C
Mar 16, 2017
trying to figure out why i can't run 91 ethanol fuel with some octane booster to make is roughly 93 in non ethanol mode. running a DTR map for my 2012 pro R 800 with vforce and slp pipe with MDS head and if i run my 91 ethanol in ethanol mode, i can tell the difference in how it sounds and throttles. Put it back into non ethanol mode and the sled is very responsive again.

Any reason why i can't run in non ethanol with 93 ethanol? i have yet to have DET show up on my dash.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I haven't tried switching my new-to-me Pro to ethanol mode, but if it's like my old EDGE in regular gas mode, it kills so much power you'd think something was wrong with it. I'm fortunate, I can get ethanol-free from several stations near me, and that's best if at all possible. That said, I know in some states it's easier to find heroin than pure premium. I'd think there's a reason beyond just octane that Poo only specifies non-eth mode for pure premium, but can't think of a reason why fuel conditioner and/or octane booster wouldn't give you enough margin to keep you safe.

Can't say what products would do the most good; I've run Lucas ethanol stabilizer in my cars when I can't get eth-free, but that's been more of a feel-good thing than something I know makes a difference. Ethanol does kill though: I've had to replace both fuel pumps, the fuel pressure regulator, and rebuild the fuel distributor on my Mercedes in the last few years. They'd been replaced before, but the steady diet of California gas before I got it took its toll. If you do have to run ethanol, definitely run something to boost the octane a few points (20-30% avgas is probably better than additives) and always run it on fresh fuel. Not sure how sensitive the det sensor is, but I'd also keep an eye on the plugs for flecks of aluminum just in case you're getting a light knock the det sensor isn't picking up.

C
Dec 14, 2020
Ethanol will make your sled run lean, as it has less energy density. Eth mode just adds slightly more fuel so there is less chance of running lean.

If you're running aftermarket maps you're likely running richer than stock already. If you're not getting a DET code, I'd still borescope your jugs and look at the pistons for signs of detonation that the computer isn't picking up.

Octane really doesn't matter so long as it's enough. You can still get lean detonation with 120 octane if your fuel maps aren't right.

C
Mar 16, 2017
Ethanol will make your sled run lean, as it has less energy density. Eth mode just adds slightly more fuel so there is less chance of running lean.

If you're running aftermarket maps you're likely running richer than stock already. If you're not getting a DET code, I'd still borescope your jugs and look at the pistons for signs of detonation that the computer isn't picking up.

Octane really doesn't matter so long as it's enough. You can still get lean detonation with 120 octane if your fuel maps aren't right.

i just looked at the map i have from DTR and the one i have for SLP stage 3 map. There is a large difference in fuel running in the 5000-8250 range. SLP adds a lot more mid range and a bit at the top end where DTR runs slightly more than stock at mid range and takes away at top. if i'm going to run the premium ethanol fuel in non ethanol mode, i'm thinking i'm safer using the SLP map instead of the DTR map for the type of riding i'm doing this weekend which will be fast lake running. Only issue i have with the SLP map is when i am crusing at about 7000 rpm, if i hammer it, i get a bog within the range of 7000-7700. There is a ton of fuel in that range in their map so i'm thinking i'm overloading in gas. If i start at 4500 and hammer it to full bar, i get through that spot no problem. Oh well, give and take i guess.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
WHY would you even consider putting that crap ETH gas in your sled ?????
Have you ever seen the results of that crap after it sits and corrodes everything ??
The ETH and gas absorb water the mix creates a acid and it eats aluminum .....
Non ETH fuel makes higher BTUs = more power

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
chevy_man is right about eth fuel leaning out, but it's not a drastic amount; a little over 3% for E10. That shouldn't be enough to push a well-tuned motor into detonation, assuming there's an accompanying increase in octane. If you're running a sled known to have lean spots though, it could push you over the edge. So I'd still say with some octane booster you can probably run E10 in non-eth mode and get away with it. With a fuel controller, you'd want to add fuel (which eth mode does) while holding the timing in (which eth mode pulls). Like I said, I'm assuming the OP can't easily get pure premium, otherwise I agree with slash in asking why in the world you'd run blended fuel...

Premium Features