• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine or electric oil pump?

C

coug66

Provided I have a ball bearing turbo, which direction should I go?

Twisted turbo pump gas M1000.

I bought an electric oil pump picture below

$_57.JPG

I assume with this turbo since it pumps 30 GPH ( 4 to 7 Psi) that I would need a restrictor

$(KGrHqZHJCoE-v8DQDFJBPtfhCi6pg~~60_57.JPG

My worries with this system is if the power wires become disconnected or it fails. I don't want to lose my turbo over it. If the pump fails will there be signs that I can investigate before I loose the center section?

Is it better to just use the engine pump and keep the oil line attached to the water pump?

I would really like less issues to worry about.

Last edited:
oil pressure switch

If I go electric I think I might add a safety light to let me know my oil pump is functional.

I don't know if the restrictor will enable the pressure to build where a switch would work?

pressure switch

$_12.JPG

Oil Pressure Switch 3psi-5psi 1/8X28 BRITISH PIPE THREAD MADE IN USA

It says its closed so I would need to check the light once and a while to see if the light is going off?

Oil Pressure Switch 3psi-5psi 1/8X28 BRITISH PIPE THREAD NORMALLY CLOSED for OIL PRESSURE LIGHT NORMALLY CLOSED

sight glass oil filter?

Another thought would be to mount the pump low near the bottom of the tank. The low pump would always be primed.

Have an inline sight glass filter installed above the tank. Hopefully it would help me know the oil pump is pushing oil up to the top of the turbo.

$(KGrHqFHJCUFHSlK8kYUBR9zsnfqvg~~60_12.JPG

I use a inline pressure analog gauge, with it mounted between the steering post and pull cord on the cowling. Plumbed in a soft rubber line off the top of the electric pump to the gauge. Works great.

It it like this?

something like this?

$_57.JPG

do have a low pressure system? Pump and restrictor?

Seems simple and reliable way to tell if it works.

All the items I picked up at the local Parker Store, just make sure you use the right type of line or hose. Had one blow out and make a huge oil mess.

Using no resister on the inlet line to the turbo, it's low pressure system 5-10 psi is all.
Hope that help.

Last edited:
Thank you for the pictures! Simple and no extra wiring required. I like it.

Thank you

All the items I picked up at the local Parker Store, just make sure you use the right type of line or hose. Had one blow out and make a huge oil mess.

Using no resister on the inlet line to the turbo, it's low pressure system 5-10 psi is all.
Hope that help.

just bought one of these

$_57.JPG

Last edited:
Why not do the injection oil delete and use your mechanical pump for the turbo.
Mixed fuel is the best for your motor as it is consistent 40:1.
The way I see it running the stock oil pump for injecting 2 stroke oil will work fine on a stock sled but once you start pumping more air and gas through forced induction the stock oil pump will not give enough oil.
Turbo motors like the oil.
Just my thoughts.
I would be more concerned with power and the lack of it on these cats to power extra pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I met someone who had issues with turbo charging a 2008 M8 and he felt his issues were related to the electrical system or lack there of.

The electrics are a concern for me, I am going to have every gauge possible on the sled as well as the attitude box.

I am Leary of adding more power related items.

I am going to be running low pressure but I never thought about the ability of the stock pump to keep up with oiling demands.

Probably amore of an issue with quad injector setups but still I can see that it might be worth turning up the volume on the pump if running duals.

It is another reason to oil with the engine pump.

Thanks

Why not do the injection oil delete and use your mechanical pump for the turbo.
Mixed fuel is the best for your motor as it is consistent 40:1.
The way I see it running the stock oil pump for injecting 2 stroke oil will work fine on a stock sled but once you start pumping more air and gas through forced induction the stock oil pump will not give enough oil.
Turbo motors like the oil.
Just my thoughts.
I would be more concerned with power and the lack of it on these cats to power extra pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features

Back