• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine Failure on 2012 M8???

S
Feb 3, 2012
I have a 2012 M8 HCR with about 370 miles on it.. Was heading out today for some deep ops.. Got one mile from the truck and blwwwaaahhhhhhh chunk! Total motor failure. Plugs looked good, but wouldnt restart, although would turn over. Towed back to the truck... sixty miles back to the dealer, where they said "probably your fuel pump". I asked if they had seen similar issues and they maintained that I was the first to bring a 2012 back this year. Has anyone else had complete engine failure on a 2012? Fuel pump issues? Makes me suspicious that out of all the possible issues, they fire "fuel pump" at me. Any input would be helpful. Oh yeah.. no motor mods except for a slp can. Original factory computer flash, Camoplast challenger extreme 2.5, powder pros, vent kit, pretty stock. thx yall
ps. what experience has anyone had with warranty work on the 2012's?

M
Feb 27, 2010
we have guy with over 2000km no issues.did u look at the pistons before u took it in. if they were mint then its just a matter of plugging it in to see if there are any codes. i have not seen any issues with the fuel pump. its got warrenty so it well get resolved.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Probably was the fuel pump or could even be water in the fuel lines freezing.. I know on the old ones if you suspected fuel pump you could run the pump backwords with a battery and it would unclog or break free the impeller.

-Aksnopro

jr_ddix

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
I got a buddy who's sled burned up on the pto side. Was full of oil left the trailer made it a few miles and kurchunk. Was still full of oil but the line from the bottom of the oil resivor to the motor was empty. Still not sure what happened here other than mabe it was to full not allowing the cap to vent properly

K

Klimbing Kitty

i know of a few sleds that are having or have had fuel pump problems. mine being one of them. Soon s i am down about 2.5 gallons the pump starts to wine really loud. either the pump pickups did not make it to the bottom of the tank and it is caught up on the shelve inside the tank or the pump is going to go. Either way it is in the shop getting a new one on warranty. I dont think a failed fuel pump should cause a complete engine failure:face-icon-small-con if you run out of fuel your engine does not fail you put more gas in pull it over a couple a times and a way you go................. I hope it is fixed soon for you bud

S
Feb 3, 2012
Thx guys.. I did pull the plugs. They seemed choclate colored.. good.. no aluminum. I was just kind of taken aback when the dealership fired "fuel pump" at me. Like there has been a rash of them. I thought the engine had siezed at first.. but it would still turn over, but not run. Bummed.. blue skies, powder everywhere! And all my crews are out riding without me.

M
Feb 27, 2010
Thx guys.. I did pull the plugs. They seemed choclate colored.. good.. no aluminum. I was just kind of taken aback when the dealership fired "fuel pump" at me. Like there has been a rash of them. I thought the engine had siezed at first.. but it would still turn over, but not run. Bummed.. blue skies, powder everywhere! And all my crews are out riding without me.

well that suck. did they not have a pump to put in.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Theres been a couple of 2012 800's with engine failures due to the waterpump shaft becoming seized stripping out driver gear. Not saying this is what happened with yours, but I've personally seen this.

A
Nov 6, 2010
Wasilla, AK
I have a 2012 M8 HCR with about 370 miles on it.. Was heading out today for some deep ops.. Got one mile from the truck and blwwwaaahhhhhhh chunk! Total motor failure. Plugs looked good, but wouldnt restart, although would turn over. Towed back to the truck... sixty miles back to the dealer, where they said "probably your fuel pump". I asked if they had seen similar issues and they maintained that I was the first to bring a 2012 back this year. Has anyone else had complete engine failure on a 2012? Fuel pump issues? Makes me suspicious that out of all the possible issues, they fire "fuel pump" at me. Any input would be helpful. Oh yeah.. no motor mods except for a slp can. Original factory computer flash, Camoplast challenger extreme 2.5, powder pros, vent kit, pretty stock. thx yall
ps. what experience has anyone had with warranty work on the 2012's?

My snow-checked M8 did the same thing.........less than 200 miles on it. Sitting at the dealer right now (going on 4 weeks) getting a new motor.

Fun fun........I let Cat have it on their survey they sent me. Did exactly what yours did......got towed out 17 miles.

Premium Features