• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine break in.... 2010 Assault

M

MTB02

Hey guys,

Just picked up my assault today and my dealer was very vague about engine break in. He said take it easy for the first tank of gas then give her hell?!?! Can anyone add to this or make suggestions? I want the rings to seat the right way so I dont have any problems, big investment for something to go wrong....

Second question..... Im a flat lander whos moving to Mountain riding, in my owners bag there were two rods which I believe are ice scratchers, These aren't required right?

Third and last, Says on a warning tag that was on the sled that the engine "this model has been calibrated for operation at elevations of 6000-8000 ft".

I live at 8500 feet and riding well above that, is that ok? And if I take it lower than 4000 one time is that ok? Thanks

Matt

POLARIS ALL THE WAY LOVE THE SLED!!!!

I always try to vary the throttle a lot during the first tank of gas. I wouldn't hold it wide open for more than a few seconds. I usually add a pint of oil to the first tank of gas and when it gets to half full I top of the fuel again so the next tank still has some oil in it. After that I let 'er rip. As far as being calibrated for 6000-8000 ft...........it is an injected sled so you don't have to worry about any changes with that but the clutching won't be right for lower elevation. you will run too many RPM's as you get lower elevation. Too many RPM's for long periods can hurt your motor. If you change the weights according to the sheet than came with your owners manual you'll be fine. If you run over 8500 ft you will want lighter weights to pull the proper RPM. Otherwise if you just put a few miles on at lower elevation then watch your RPM's close and don't let them get over 8200.

Last edited:
you do want to install the ice scratchers..and run them anytime you are on hardpacked snow(trails ,springtime)..as for break in..use polaris blue oil, 1/2 a quart in the gas tank is enough...warm the sled up to 160 on water temp before riding it...(while getting geared up)...try to keep the watertemp guage displayed while riding..temp should stay under about 135 with scratchers down..over 160 or so and its time to shut it off and let it cool off)then ride it pretty hard..keep the throttle moving..dont hold it in one spot..hit full throttle often but just for a second or two before letting off ....after a 5-10 mile ride..stop shut it off...open the hood and make sure the oil tank level has gone down(it means the engine is getting oil), look for any signs of leakage(oil, antifreeze, loose bolts and such), check the clutches and belt..then ride it some more..same deal..but get on it for longer..full throttle for 3-5 seconds....try to ride a whole tank of fuel thru it..when you get back to the trailer..check and see if it burnt about 1 qt of oil..if its way over that(like 2 qts to a tank of fuel) the dealer needs to adjust the oiler down..same if it only used 3/4 of a qt. for a tank of gas...after the first tank of fuel..go to synthetic oil..and ride it like you stole it....

Exactly what AKSNOWRIDER said. Checking to see if the oil pump is working with a new sled is very important...one of the reasons to add the oil to your first tank is to ensure you are lubing the engine.

I am also a believer in using scratchers. They keep your "investment" running strong. Besides lubing the hyfax, they lower your engine temps big time if you are on any trail or hard pack wind blown snow. You can eat through your new unseasoned hyfax and overheat your new engine in just a few miles. You already have the scratchers, so put them on. I put mine on right behind the front boogie wheels. I personally like to keep all the wheels on to help the hyfax and track last.

My dealer gave me my 09' with the 2 stroke oil premixed in the tank with a tank of fuel. As for ice scratchers I am sure they are a good idea, that said I am too damn stupid to remember I have them down and back over them and wreck them.

I personally like to keep all the wheels on to help the hyfax and track last.

although there is the argument the extra boogies make the hyfax wear unevenly which produces lower track speeds...

i don't run any boogies but am a true believer in scratchers. use consistently hey make a huge difference.

pv

Premium Features

Back