• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electrical Problems Help Please!

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
2016 LTD Proclimb M8000.

Pulled the sled out of the corner today to get ready and ran into some electrical issues. Headlights, gauge, and tail light don't work. I checked the three fuses up front and they are all good.

When you first start the sled up, the gauge and the lights will come on, within a few seconds everything goes dead. If you start it back up right away, there is nothing. If you wait for a while, it will do the same thing again. There is a very very small amount of juice, just enough to make the old bulb have just a slight little hot spot you could see start to turn orange. I think it was like .002 Volts or something like that...

Checked the 12V outlet and it doesn't have power either.

Before I ever started it, I put in new LED light bulbs because I had one broken bulb I need to replace anyway. Didn't start it before putting the LED bulbs in, so not sure if that has anything to do with it. It doesn't seem to matter if I have them plugged in, unplugged, an old light plugged in, or any combination. The gauge and lights (whatever is plugged in) will shut off within seconds after starting.

I've checked the main connector for the hood as well as the gauge connector for pushed back pins or corrosion. Made sure they were tightly connected several time. Checked grounds on the chassis and engine, checked all the other connectors I could find on the handlebars and in front of the gas tank. I'm at a loss... Any suggestions? Anyone seen this before?

I tried looking up the voltage regulator on country cat and couldn't find it. Is it built into the ECU by chance??

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Wasn't very clear at first. The sled will run until you hit the kill switch and always starts. The power for lights and gauge is what I lose.

I took it out to burn some of the fogging oil out and it seemed like it was in a limp home mode based on how it was running. Obviously doesn't tell me that because the gauge was off.

Cain

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Sounds like the voltage regulator. I think it will run poorly since the powervalve motor wont operate.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Sounds like the voltage regulator. I think it will run poorly since the powervalve motor wont operate.

Is that built into the ECU? Can't find it in the country cat parts lookup.

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
voltage regulator is that square thing , not the ecu but it has wiring to it. its mounted on the bulkhead side

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014

Got it fixed today after having to let it sit while I was gone all week. You were the winner! Voltage regulator/rectifier was bad. LED lights and everything else work just fine now that I have a good rectifier.

Buddy swapped it out with his and it was good to go. Tested mine just to make sure it wasn't a connection and it failed. Not sure why I can't find it in the parts book though... Probably would have ordered one last week and tried it. Sucked to have to tear both sleds apart.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Bought it with one year warranty so it technically expired a couple weeks ago. The dealer is working with Cat on the part though since I just pulled my sled off the shelf in a climate controlled shop for the season and it didn't work.

I wasn't going to leave it at the dealer to figure out in case it took them a few hours and Cat wouldn't cover it. Plus they were swamped at the dealer with the recent snows and I wanted to make sure it was fixed before it was time to head West.

Premium Features