• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electrical problem, something seems to be shorting

G
Oct 14, 2010
I recently picked up a used '09 Summit X. It runs fine but the electronics have been on the fritz. The first thing I noticed is when I hit the brake (while sled was on the trailer) all the gauges did a reset sweep and flashed (like when you start the motor). When I went for my first ride the gauges would reset periodically. Eventually towards the end of the ride the gauges were always flashing as were the brake and head lights. Seemed like something was shorting out the system. I looked at the easily accessible connectors and wires under the hood and the only problem I noticed was with the two throttle lever heater wires. They're cracked right next to the connector on top of the steering column and also next to the lever. I tried to insulate them with some rubber cement (shoe goo type stuff) and electrical tape. Riding today the problem is not as severe but it seems that when I apply the brake the gauges still reset, it also seems to happen when the RPMs go above 6000 or so. My next step is to try and replace the cracked parts of the wires near the connector. It sucks that the pins are so hard to remove from the connector. Anyone have tips for doing that? If anyone has advice on what could be causing the problem besides those wires or how to find/fix it I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks a lot.

Premium Features