• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electric Gremlin?

Jan 12, 2010
Finger Lakes, NY
Hey Fellas,

So this is a no snow season for us and I thought I would get some "Free"work done on the sled. Friend of mine runs a tech school -Outdoor power class. I snapped the rear suspension bracket and his class wanted to work on the rear suspension of a sled....

When I got it back the suspension was fixed BUT....now the 900 will not fire on three pulls...when it does fire up after 6 to 7 pulls...I HAVE NO LIGHTS. My guess is electrical relay or capacitor??? If I remember correctly this means the capacitor is not charging up the Fuel pump and the wires to the capacitor is under the seat??? I went to the "Useful Stickies" but its not working...

Can you guys help me trouble shoot...and any idea on why stickies are dead?

S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada
wrt not working links, you need to make sure the address in the address bar of your browser has snowestonline vice snowest. You can edit the address to add the online b4 the ".com".

wrt the gremlins, it sounds like you are on the right track.

Capacitor test is fairly simple: if your mfd is up a low battery indicator is generally an indication of a bad capacitor. To test the capacitor, apply 12 volts to it with a car battery for 10 seconds and then remove the battery and read the voltage at the capacitor. It should be about 12 volts and may drop slowly.

I had a relay issue where the relay was corroded and needed to be cleaned. A little contact cleaner and some light sanding and everything was good to go.

Good luck.

Jan 12, 2010
Finger Lakes, NY
Next question

Relay is cleaned and now starts on three pulls consistently....
BUT still no headlightsy
Mfd is fine and lit...full reading on electric system
Of note the high beam indicator is stuck on
thoughts....

R
Dec 17, 2006
Relay is cleaned and now starts on three pulls consistently....
BUT still no headlightsy
Mfd is fine and lit...full reading on electric system
Of note the high beam indicator is stuck on
thoughts....
Check the wiring down by the pipe the main wire harness pull it apart and check to see if all the pin's are sticking out I had one that was not and it was for the lights had to pull it back out with needle nose pliers and then the lights work .

S

sno_mo_racer

Oct 28, 2009
Kugluktuk Nunavut
Did they weld the bracket back on? I am guessing that they did and wasn't grounded at all or didn't ground it properly when welding. Fried some electrical and welding on the sled with a bad ground can wreck the ecu and other electrical parts.

Jan 12, 2010
Finger Lakes, NY
Solution-

Found out problem....As you all know, Main Wiring Harness Connection to the hood is right at the front of the nose cone under or near pipe. When I took the male/female connector apart there was obvious corrosion on the pins.

Product used Deoxite 5...I have used this for years on my auto and it works great at getting rid of electrical connection corrosion. There is also a follow up treatment for extreme conditions called Deoxite Shield.

When I started her up(3 pulls now)....Lights came right on. Thanks for the advice on the relay and the hunt for the problem...This site is truly an incredible resources. Hats off to all!!!:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features