• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

drop and roll

B
Feb 28, 2008
wasilla
any locals do a drop and roll kit on your revs. thinking of installing one . what are the results, ups, downs, worth it or not. i need some advice. i heard you gain track speed ... is that true?

M
Nov 27, 2007
Mulletville, AK.
Imho......

any locals do a drop and roll kit on your revs. thinking of installing one . what are the results, ups, downs, worth it or not. i need some advice. i heard you gain track speed ... is that true?

Speaking from the experience of owning a number sled equipped with a D@R, it is not really worth it on modern high HP sleds, unless. 1) You want to run a 2.5-3 inch lug track or 2) you are building a sled JUST for powder riding.

With a drop and roll you will have to makes some changes in your rear skid location that compromise the ride and trail manners of the sled. The drivers are down in harms way and you can bend/ break a drive axle and damage your tunnel. If you ride bumps aggressively you will feel the drivers bottom at times. None of this matters if you ride only in deep snow, but we don't always have fresh powder every week here in Alaska.

An option that you might consider on your REV is an extended chain case. Toms Ski Doo offered a kit in the past but I am not sure if it is still available. Give him a call.

I modified and welded a 1 inch extended case for my 05 REV so that I could run the new at the time Camo extreme 144X2.5 track. It made a huge difference in the sleds performance, but I think the gain came mainly from the track. The main reason I extended the case was to run 8 tooth 3 pitch drivers and not have the jack shaft in the tunnel, move the skid back, etc.

Hope this helps.

extended chain case.jpg

T
Running the longer chaincase is like doing a mild D&R, and you shouldn't have to fool with the rear skid geometery. I did mine on my dragon so that I could run a 2.5" track. There was no way i was going to run a smaller driver, that should be the last option. But money plays a big part of the direction most people go with, so its understandable why people don't like D&R's. Are you going with a bigger track? I've done alot of trial and error with this on my ol' 98' XC and doing the D&R(1" drop) with bigger 10 tooth drivers, I got my approach angle from 23deg to 17deg. What a difference. Skidoo I believe always hade a good approach angle from the factory.(One of Polaris' weak points, still)

B
Feb 28, 2008
wasilla
you know... the only eason why i was to go with a d&r is that i would gain track speed.i was told that they had claims of 7-10mph track speed more. that just got me thinking.but having the ezryde made me think otherwise...too much to mess with to get geo. to fit right.

T
When I did my own D&R nine years ago(polaris) it was said that doing the 10tooth drivers and 8" 'big wheels' made a difference in trackspeed. All three of those I believe did improve track speed. Use to be able to drag the sled around in the garage alot easier. How do you like that easy ride? Always wanted to try one.

B
Feb 28, 2008
wasilla
When I did my own D&R nine years ago(polaris) it was said that doing the 10tooth drivers and 8" 'big wheels' made a difference in trackspeed. All three of those I believe did improve track speed. Use to be able to drag the sled around in the garage alot easier. How do you like that easy ride? Always wanted to try one.

ezryde is nice, but it has one flaw. the main rear suspension shock seems to ice up too much in powder, that creates the buffer to become rock solid and that leads to a bent cross bar. i even tried to zip tie the shock cover to elliminate all snow of getting in , helped but not a whole lot. so i got Zbros to make me a shock instead of the fox that are on there now, but as for suspension its perfect for the type of riding i do. smooth on trails, 14 inch travel and keeps the nose down. still a better ride than my stock.

Premium Features