• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Drop and Roll Clearance

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
About how much more lug clearance can I expect from doing a drop and roll on my sled? 1990 650 SKS, thanks.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Depends on the kit you use. I did one on my early 90s sled and it gave me enough clearance to run 2.5" Simmon's speed cleats with room to spare. If I remember right I ended up with about 3" of clearance between the drivers and the top shaft.

sled_guy

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
What kit would you recommend? I was planning on updating the chain case with an edge one, and if money allows, do a belt drive.

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
It's a 1990 sled... cheapest way you can go is what I'd recommend. :)

Back when I did mine there weren't additional chaincases available.

I have seen people put Gen II chaincases on the old Indy's but not Edge ones... the Edge ones are even longer than the Gen II. Your limitting factor is going to be how far you can move the bottom shaft down and still keep it in the tunnel.

sled_guy

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
Would I even need a kit? Or could I just put the chain case in, basically mount the top jack shaft, then see where my drive shaft bests fits? Then basically drill my tunnel, and also put a brace on the tunnel for added strength?

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I have a gen2 chassie I'm working on right now that somebody put an edge chaincase into, the jackshaft is still in the stock location and the mainshft just ended up wherever it ended up. There is alot of room for the track in there, this one is running a CE 2.5" with room to spare. You do have to shim the chaincase off the bulkhead to clear the brake rotor so you have to do some side to side adjustments on your drivers but for a guy on a budget it works just fine. Like sledguy says it's a 1990, just have fun with it.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i got a gen 2 case to put in my ultra, pulled mine out, did some comparing, and decided to scrap the idea. ill sell it cheap if you want to play around with it.

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
Kit? I've never used one. Just take lots of measurements and make darn sure you've got it all square to the bulkhead.

I vote for edge case.
Remember to keep the driveshaft as far forward as you can to prevent the nose from getting too heavy. I've rolled them too far and it makes a huge difference in how the sled handles.

FORDpickupman

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Actually, I think I have a Tison extended Gen II chaincase I'd donate to the cause if you want to pay shipping. Hell, your in Casper, you down in SLC once in a while? I could meet you and give it to you.

sled_guy

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
Actually, I think I have a Tison extended Gen II chaincase I'd donate to the cause if you want to pay shipping. Hell, your in Casper, you down in SLC once in a while? I could meet you and give it to you.

sled_guy

I'll actually be in Evanston, WY next week, maybe I can pick it up?

Premium Features