• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do you guys think this will work? (more of a low elev. question)

rusty rider

Lifetime Membership
So thought of adding a extra heavy duty clutch spring from a Kawasaki klx110 to waste gate actuator arm and have it push against the internal spring that is currently 7lbs. Want to be able to turn boost down as far as 3lbs @1500k ft. so on a longer trail rip at home want to have enough fuel to make it from bar to bar and will have to run on 91 non oxy at times.

I tested this on bench and could almost take all pressure off waste gate and apply all pressure back (7 lb spring inside actuator) by loosening the spring in pic.

I was not comfortable tying into the center section of my pipe to trick waste gate into thinking the machine was running higher boost than actually was (Gus)
and didn't want to drop another $80 for a 4lb actuator.

I'm trying to see if I can build a low elev turbo trail ripper that will run good.

What do you guys think? I know most people run at high elevation on here but maybe some one from ak will have some info? Thanks in advance.

internal gate spring .jpg

Last edited:
I take it I'm on my own on this one. Any thoughts out there?

I seen there were a few very knowledgeable guys that looked at post.

Hopefully in the near future I can test this and I will report what I find.

That's silly, the thought of turning boost down :nono:

1. Unthread the end of the arm off
2. Take a washer and slide it down the arm up against the actuator
3. Slide your spring down the arm and seat against the washer
4. Put another washer on the arm on the top side of the spring
5. Use the nut that's for holding the end of the arm to thread down towards washer
6. Tighten that nut down against the washer/spring to desired stiffness
7. Now you can thread the end of the arm back on and you're good to go.

Be sure to keep us posted with your testing!

attachment.php

It should work. I've done the spring the opposite way to get more boost temporarily.

I know this is not what you asked but here is how I deal with the same problem....How many miles you make on one trip? I live at 800ft and on the weekends we run up to 150 mile trips. I have mtn addiction 3.5 gal can full of race to help bump the 91 for the trip home. 8psi is as low as mine goes. My m8t doesn't seem to need near the octane trail running I can run 8 psi here with 50% av gas down the trails no problem. I just know once I got the blend in be easy on it no problems here in couple thousand miles. I have had a buddy to carry a couple gals for me a time of two also.

All responses very appreciated! I like to hear what others are doing out there. I have no experience with low elevation turbo set ups so just trying to learn as much as possible now. I will be carrying 3.3 extra of fuel at all times, hope to get at 100 ish miles of range out of total fuel that I can carry.

Is there anything out there that a guy could add to 91 non oxy to bring octane up a bit besides octane booster or boost juice? Or some things a guy could mix together in a couple quart containers and put in trunk and add in as needed along the way at every fill up?

A guy could carry the Jerry can full of straight 110 to mix in. I run mine around home sometimes 2000ft. With straight av 100LL at 8lbs. Haven't had a problem. The turbo dosent work hard trail/field riding. Can't barely even pin it anyways an ur going Mach chicken outta control with that boost haha. Unless a guy was holding it WOT at 100mph across the field for long time you shouldn't det.

Premium Features

Back