• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dissapointed in 509's helmet nose piece

SODAK-DOO

Premium Member
Went out on a limb for Christmas and bought myself the 509 carbon fiber helmet and sinister x5 goggles. Finally put them to good use this last weekend in rabbit ears and had nothing but problems with the fitment of the nose piece which caused my goggles to fog up if i was not moving. Do they make any other nose piece options for these helmets to help this? I end up up taking the nose piece out of my ski-doo helmet and cutting holes to match and that solved the problem because it fit around my nose and sealed by breath from going into the goggles.

I bought a evolution helmet with the sinister goggles and it was perfect never fogged even one time even if we're just sitting there for five minutes you can call their hotline and ask them for a new nose piece they are very willing to help I think they have a great customer satisfaction rating I have talk to them in the past and resolved any issue that I've ever had with their equipment they're very dedicated
IMHO

Last edited:
There are multiple pictures out there with the goggles placed on top of the breath box, and some with the goggles placed behind the breath box. The correct way that we have found for our customers is to place the goggles behind the breath box so that they seal to your face, and they are not trying to seal to the breath box. If the breath box is behind the goggles it is a direct path for that hot air your breathing to go straight up into the goggles behind the lenses. With that said, there really is no great solution out there for the guys that want a breath box. It is slightly cumbersome no matter what your running in todays smaller and lighter helmets as there just is not as much room as there once was in the openings. We find that if our customers fit their goggles in the helmet, and then arrange the breath box to the front of the goggles to deflect any wind they are much more happy. The downfall to this, is that you then will find it easier to just remove the entire helmet when stopping rather than just your goggles, as it is a pain to get the goggles on and behind the breath box when wearing it. We believe this is why you are seeing an influx in quick latches and fastening systems in helmets, because it is becoming more common and easier to leave the goggles situated on the helmet and to remove the entire setup for a quick break rather than the old way of just pulling your goggles off. Just our .2 Cents, hope that helps!

that is new to me, so i will give that a try. I have always used the breath box and never considered removing. is there more of you that remove it? and what for what reason?

I don't use mine, use a Klim arctic balaclava and it works way better with aviators or Spy goggles.

that is new to me, so i will give that a try. I have always used the breath box and never considered removing. is there more of you that remove it? and what for what reason?

Depends on the weather. Here in WA I rarely use a breath box because it's warm out. When I was in AK it never came out of my helmet! Other places, depends on the thermometer and conditions that day.

So I had a chance to try out my new Altitude Helmet last weekend and I assume it has the same breath box that yours has. When I put it on I was like WTF this sits funny and remembered this post. But then I just crimped that little nose piece of metal to my nose and it fit and sat perfect. Put my goggles over the top of that and had no issues all day. Temps were about -25 below that morning and got into the balmy single digits after lunch. I switched between the new Max vent X5's and an aviator pair as the sun was popping in and out all day and both pairs stayed fog free all day.

Premium Features

Back