• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diamond Drive Help Needed ASAP 08 M8--HELP

DAKOTAKIDD

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2009
British Columbia
Hey all,

I yanked my DD out of my 08 M8 tonight. Sled has just under 1400 miles on it. My purpose of yanking it was to change that suspect bearing...6203...So lone behold its toast and lil chunks are everywhere..I guess no surprise to some. So normally when you remove the cover you should be able lift that shaft/gear up from the plantary setup and just change the bearing out. Well my 6203 bearing is not attached to the shaft anymore. Its stuck where it rides in the plantary. What i'm looking for is someone that has ran into this problem before (bearing not on the shaft) and how they removed it? Or is it pretty simple when I pull the big snap ring on the plantary set up and split it apart? I'm worried that its not holding on the shaft anymore and I may have to change the shaft/gear out?? I can put the shaft/gear in and out of the plantary seat up really easy--seems the shaft is slightly smaller.

2nd---the input shaft (Secondary clutch area) was wet when I pulled the secondary? Is this normal or should I be changing that seal as well?

3rd--When I removed the reverse actuator assembly--I pulled the 3 torx bolts and suddenly the motor shifted. I could twist it and put the bolts back in if I wanted but was just curious how it will work when it comes to re assemby time.. After I removed the motor, I had no resistance on the splined shaft??? Is this normal--What the procedure for reinstalling the motor when putting everything back in the chassis??

All said and done,the oil was slightly milky and I am thinking I should change everything out ( BDX KIT) and I should be good for a while.

What your thoughts??

Thx in advance

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I didn't realize that year of M8 had the problem 6203 bearing but if constructed like the 2010, that bearing presses onto the shaft that has the gear and the gear is closest to the cover.

So are you sure the inner race of that shaft didn't come out when you removed that gear?

If the whole bearing is still in the assembly after you remove that gear, then that's weird. Are the ball bearings still in the bearing?

Can you post some pics of what you're seeing?

DAKOTAKIDD

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2009
British Columbia
Here are a couple pics. The bearing was not attached to the shaft and its stuck inside. When I first pulled the cover, the gear stayed in the cover and thats when I knew something was wrong. Any help is appreciated

DSCN2955.jpg DSCN2956.jpg DSCN2957.jpg

DAKOTAKIDD

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2009
British Columbia
I am going try and find a slide hammer and remove it...What else besides cleaning should I do?

Back to my first post, should I change the input shaft seal (where secondary bolts on) or is it normal for some oil to leak out there.

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
breather

I am going try and find a slide hammer and remove it...What else besides cleaning should I do?

Back to my first post, should I change the input shaft seal (where secondary bolts on) or is it normal for some oil to leak out there.

I know that on the 09-11 the DD is vented out of the bolt that holds the secondary on. I'm not familiar with older DD's but you have to vent somewhere.

DAKOTAKIDD

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2009
British Columbia
So I got the bearing out with a slide hammer. But the bearing has an sealed rolled edge on the inside. Part number is 6203nse. Is it ok to use a double sealed 6203-2rsj?

HIDY

Premium Member
Sep 5, 2005
WASHINGTON
I pulled out one side of the seal on mine it needs the lube not just the packing in the bearing.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Sw & HCS & M/S have pinned threads on repairing the DD and bearing choices.I think your gear shaft will be fine . For the few $ i would go with a japan or german or usa bearing, Not the Chineese

DAKOTAKIDD

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2009
British Columbia
So I put in a SKF 6203 double sealed bearing. I got it all back together and all seems well. When I started the sled and had it on a stand and put it into reverse it worked fine but while the track is slowly rotating along I was hearing this howling from the DD area.It went away will more gas applied. Is that something to worry about. I will make a seperate post asking that question as well

Thx for all your help

Premium Features