• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Deer Park Cabin (Forest Service) Winter Rental - Idaho City, ID.

acgreen

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I've been in contact with Ms. Lori Wood, acting Idaho City District Ranger, and the Boise Nation Forest Service office in Boise over opening the Deer Park cabin in winter for rental. Between Idaho City and Lowman their are (6) Idaho Parks and Recreation yurts and (1) Forest Service cabin RESTRICTED to skier and snowshoe use only. NOTHING for us who snowmobile. Only Forest Service cabins open in the winter for snowmobiling are ELK Creek cabin north of Lowman and the Boiling Springs cabin north of Crouch. Nothing as close to Boise as the Deer Park cabin. The Deer Park cabin is 17 miles east of "Whoop Um Up" snowmobile park, along the north fork of the Boise River. The Deer Park cabin is in a beautiful location and in a great area to snowmobile. I'm on the board of directors for the Boise Snowmobile Club and Region 4 Director for the Idaho State Snowmobile Association (ISSA). After reading about the 6th yurt being built and no Forest Service cabins in the Idaho City area for snowmobile use I decided it was time to try for a change and a little equality. Their has been some discussion about the Boise Snowmobile club being in partnership with the Forest Service to keep this cabin open in the winter. The phone number for the Idaho City Ranger District office is (208) 392-6681.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arctic Thunder

acgreen

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
No Response from Forest Service Yet.

Since my first discussion with the Idaho City District Office, for the Forest Service, in March it has been two months and no answer as yet. I called Ms. Wood this week and left a message to see if any decision has been reached but was only able to leave a voice mail message, since she was not available.

Last edited:

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Thats pretty bogus that they cater to the skiers and snowshoers so much and won't accomodate anything with the snowmobilers.

have you cross posted this into the land use area also?

I don't ride this area but hate to see things so onesided against sledders.

acgreen

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
New District Ranger in Idaho City.

The acting US Forest Service district ranger in Idaho City has been replaced by the permanent ranger. Her name is Ruth Esperance and she called me back in regards to my message I had left her about the Deer Park Cabin. We talked yesterday and I told her the Deer Park Cabin should to be open for winter snowmobile use. She was non-committal but listened to my views. Sometimes I think I should contact a congressman for assistance (to get this to the front burner) but trying to work through the system. It's slow going but I'm not going to drop this issue until the Deer Cabin is open for winter use.

M

more snow

Jan 8, 2008
Nampa, ID
Keep up the great effort. I have thought the same thing about the grossly unfair arrrangements of cabins and yurts in Idaho City. They have no ground to stan on to justify this being so 1-sided.

acgreen

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Deer Park Cabin will be closed this winter.

Today Sandra Mitchell, Director of Public Lands Committee for ISSA, and I had a morning coffee meeting with Idaho City District Ranger Ruth Esperance. She has only been at this job for a short time and said she wants to study her area of responsibility before making any long range decisions for the Idaho City District. She will be having discussions and possible meetings over the status of the Deer Park Cabin during the months to come. According to her the Deer Park Cabin will be closed this winter, the 2011 - 2012 snowmobile season. I will keep working for it to be open next winter.

Premium Features