• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Deadliest Catch...as real as WWE

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
"Deadliest Catch" caught in fishy editing
By James Hibberd
Fri Apr 18, 10:44 AM PDT

Tuesday's fourth-season premiere of Discovery Channel's "Deadliest Catch" opens during a raging nighttime storm in the Bering Sea. Mammoth waves smash an Alaskan crab fishing boat called the Wizard, sending large swells crashing over its deck. Inside, alarmed crew members discover that their stateroom is flooding with incoming seawater.

The sequence suggests that the fishermen are in danger of sinking as a violent tempest tosses huge waves against the boat.

But here's the not-so-deadliest catch:

The boat flooded in September.

The huge storm waves were from October.

And a producer may have filmed extra footage to help stitch the two events together.

Pages from a production outline obtained by The Hollywood Reporter suggest that producers of the cable network's top-rated series may have strayed from reality while editing the harrowing sequence from the show's record-setting premiere.

The document directs producers of the Emmy-nominated program to patch together a scene of life-and-death peril from different days of filming.

EARLY DRAFT

Discovery executives described the outline as an early draft that was dismissed by the show's production company. The sequence, however, does match what appeared in Tuesday's episode. The network strongly denies that re-enactment footage is ever used by "Catch," but it acknowledged that material from separate days of filming were combined to produce the scene in question.

From the outline:

"WIZARD ROGUE WAVE: Combine Wizard leak story on 9/26 with the Wizard being hit by a big wave on 10/1 and 10/2. The fiction we are constructing is that the big wave hit the Wizard on their steam up to Dutch -- caused a leak in Lenny's stateroom. In reality these were two separate events. In addition to the original source material, (a producer's name redacted by THR) shot re-enactment footage."

Such editing and staging tactics are common on reality shows, but Discovery considers "Catch" a documentary and holds the series to the highest standard.

Discovery president and general manager John Ford said the outline was an early draft that did not rise to the level of network inspection. "It's a rough draft that was rejected," Ford said after speaking to producer Original Prods.

That said, the scene did combine shots from two different days. The exterior shots showing the Wizard being hit by the waves were filmed from another boat while the Wizard was alone during its actual flooding.

"The Wizard was struck by a big wave, and that wave caused the leak you see in the show," Ford said. "The thing we didn't have on camera was the actual wave that struck the Wizard. That was shot at a separate time on the same journey and was an insert edit from the show. We did that for story continuity because we didn't have a boat-to-boat shot."

Despite mixing the footage to create a more dramatic scene, Ford said the story told in the episode remains accurate.

"Everything that you see in the show happened," he said. "Nothing is made up and nothing needs to be made up. The Wizard was struck by a big wave, and that wave caused the leak you see in the show. The show is 100% authentic."

PICKUP SHOTS

Also, Ford denied the suggestion that the show uses re-enactment footage, though sometimes "pickup shots" are utilized.

"For certain things, we do pickup shots for continuity," Ford said. "If the camera didn't run properly when the captain was boarding the boat, they have the captain back up and board the boat again."

Pickup shots are very common in unscripted programming of all stripes.

"There's pickup shots in documentaries," said Craig Borders, a reality series director who is co-chair of the Directors Guild of America's reality TV committee. "Interviews can even be considered pickup shots."

At the outset of the current season, Discovery instructed producers to not use any re-enactments, Ford said. "Catch" did use a re-enactment shot once last year, and the scene was put into black and white and was labeled a re-enactment. Ford suggested that the production outline may have been written by a person unfamiliar with all of the show's guidelines, confusing pickup coverage with a re-enactment.

The leak comes a year after the network admitted another reality hit "Man vs. Wild" took liberties with storytelling. Although the "Catch" sequence doesn't compare to the gaffes committed by "Wild," parent company Discovery Networks always has positioned itself as "a nonfiction entertainment" programmer.

Tuesday's episode was the highest-rated premiere in the network's history and was seen by 3.5 million viewers. The show also is the flagship entry in Original Prods. line of gritty blue-collar reality shows, including History's "Ice Road Truckers" and "Ax Men." The genre has become so popular on basic cable that NBC this month announced two Original Prods. shows set to air in summer 2009: "Shark Taggers" and "America's Toughest Jobs."

Original Prods. declined repeated requests for comment.

Nominated for seven primetime Emmy Awards, "Catch" often is praised for its realism. Noting that Bering Sea fisherman have died while filming the show, the New York Times last week declared that "of all the reality shows, 'Deadliest Catch' is by far the realest."

With that in mind, the lines between reality programming, documentaries and docudramas are increasingly difficult to distinguish. And for many filmmakers, where those lines are remains uncharted territory.

Whatever the case, the inherent danger faced by the boat's crew is undeniable. Viewers have embraced the series because it offers a brand of man-vs.-nature escapism not found in scripted productions.

Last year, "Catch" fans on a Discovery Channel message board thread debated whether one scene was staged. The consensus: never on this show.

"I suppose we're a country that's been desensitized to 'thrills' because Hollywood spews them out so rapidly and easily," one viewer wrote on the board. "That's why I'm so hooked on 'Deadliest Catch.' It's so refreshing to see 'real life' that contains more thrills and chills than even Hollywood can imagine."

S

sldgy

I suppose next you are going to be telling us that Mr. Ed couldn't really talk?:rolleyes:

W

wildcard

RIP Brian
Nov 26, 2001
Now how is that even close to being the same? Yes they Hollywooded it up, but it is real, very real. I spent five years fishing full time. Shoulda died a few times and damn near killed my daughter once when we took green water over the port bow and blew two big windows out, 18" X 48". In half a heart beat there was three feet of water in the Focsol and 20K in electronics were destroyed. That aint staged WWF BS....

S

sldgy

Now how is that even close to being the same? Yes they Hollywooded it up, but it is real, very real. I spent five years fishing full time. Shoulda died a few times and damn near killed my daughter once when we took green water over the port bow and blew two big windows out, 18" X 48". In half a heart beat there was three feet of water in the Focsol and 20K in electronics were destroyed. That aint staged WWF BS....

Chill wildcard, we know the difference between ground zero and no fat ground beef.:face-icon-small-coo

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
OR: Hunter Hearst Helmsley vs King Crab vs wildcard in a "cage match"?:face-icon-small-hap

Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!
Live! On Pay Per View!
Triple H vs. Wildcard vs. the Mighty King Crab in a Triple Threat Cage Match!
Winner gets a shot at the WWE Heavyweight title at Summerslam!!!

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Discovery is tired of crab fishing. Their releasing their newest show next fall. Killer Orbit. Follow NASA as puts together space station modules made in both English and metric. One wrong step and it's a 220 mile fall to a fiery death.

Deadliest catch is a cool show, I just could only take about 2 years of it. Personally, I don't want the job.

P
Mar 25, 2003
Ellensburg, WA
There are a lot of staged shots on Catch, as told to me by a buddy. Won't mention his name (one of the green horns) or the name of the "magical" boat, but on the way back to Dutch to off load the film crew wanted some shots of waves washing over deck hands. The captin ordered all crew members on deck during a nasty storm for filming. My friend told him to get f***ed, being on deck to fish was one thing, risking your life for film was just plain stupid. Probably won't be asked back next season, but is headed back up for the salmon season.

A
Jan 3, 2007
SPOKANE
WHAT??!!!! WWE aint real?????? say it aint so mafesto!!! i can see that im going to have to re-evaluate my entire belief system now. thanks a bunch ya bunch of bubble bustin blowhards!!!!lol

T
Nov 21, 2007
bc
Have you ever read the credits at the end of these "reality" shows? ... They all have writers!

Reality TV, is a responce by producers to slow down escalating wage demands by actors.

It started with Bill Crosby then went to Seinfeld and finally Friends put it over the top.
A show gets popular and the star demands stupid money. Million per episode for the star. Sure, ok Bill .... you too Jerry .... ummmm 6 of you eh. OK, but this has gotta end. I know .... reality TV, where all the money goes to the producer. See Survivor/ American Idol.

Think about it. All these agents with stables of "struggling" actors willing to do anything to get in the buisness .... ok in this next scene your gonna eat pig intestines and do you happen to have a skimpier bathing suit?

Aaaaaannnndd the TV sheep eat it all up.

American Idol "really" took it up a notch when they asked there voters to phone or text in there vote ... oh and there is just a minimal fee. What's 50 cents times 5 million ..... friggen finacial geniuses.:D:D:D all the way to the bank.:beer;

T
Nov 26, 2007
Prince George, BC
www.cap-it.com
For every 10 minutes of excitement on that show, there is probably 10 hours of ho-hum filming. THe show is designed to give you a sense of the danger that working up there presents. SHould it be totally chronological. If it was, it would be boring.

Premium Features