• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dead sled.

P
Nov 29, 2007
Lakeview, Oregon
Have a 09 Polaris 800, last year sledding it started to sputter, gauges flickered, then it died totally.
Was told it was the vr, replaced it, barely ran, ecu then fried,
talk about bad luck. Replaced condenser, vr, ecu, tried to stat it no luck. Checked for spark, none. Have a stator on order, what else am I missing, blown fuse somewhere?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Totally frustrated by now, but can't afford a new one.
Danny

D
Aug 25, 2016
Have a 09 Polaris 800, last year sledding it started to sputter, gauges flickered, then it died totally.
Was told it was the vr, replaced it, barely ran, ecu then fried,
talk about bad luck. Replaced condenser, vr, ecu, tried to stat it no luck. Checked for spark, none. Have a stator on order, what else am I missing, blown fuse somewhere?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Totally frustrated by now, but can't afford a new one.
Danny

Wait to change the stator and get back at us... You need a special tool to get the flywheel off

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I know you replaced the ECU but it is possible to be faulty right out of the box. Who flashed the new one for you? Can you swap it out with a known good one? It's hard to imagine a stator going at the same time as the vr and ecu. How were the resistance checks on the stator?

P
Nov 29, 2007
Lakeview, Oregon
Dead Sled

Replaced stator still no spark. I thought the ecu would be flashed from Polaris. Main relay on order. Took off tether. Have to check throttle switch. cannot see it being that though. Running out of options and funds to get this p o s running.
Thanks for all the ideas
Danny

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
Check your grounds and any wire thats black around the bars for a chaif or break unhook harness going to bars to eliminate bad wiring with no spark your looking at the ground side ( kill switch) tether if equipped ect..

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
You are correct. These sleds are a complete piece of ****. I know because I have a 2010 800 RMK. Here's what I would suggest you do next. If you use a fuel controller box check the plugs to make sure they are all secure and most importantly check the ground wire is properly secured to a proper ground. Absolute complete piece of **** is what we both have.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
Was your voltage regulator new or used? Was the voltage regulator a Polaris part or aftermarket part?

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
last question... if you bought a new polaris oem VR was it the most recent generation of part numbers? since the part was such a POS i believe the part may have been upgraded 2 or 3 times and you want the most recent part.

grounding, plug connections and VR is where i would focus.

RDS88

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
If you bought a brand new ECU you need to have the local dealer flash it to your sled. They come blank when you order a brand new one.

P
Nov 29, 2007
Lakeview, Oregon
RDS88. You are so right on the ecu not being flashed. The local Polaris shop finally asked if it had been flashed. Said no , they flashed it to the sled and hooray now it runs.
Want to thank everyone for all the help.
Have a great season
Merry Christmas
Danny:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features