• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Custom build - Moved too far forward

E
Dec 19, 2007
This first pic was last years build which was pretty good but the falling rate ts suspension was holding it back.

attachment.php

This is this years build.

attachment.php

Note the axle is straight under the swingarm bolt. Its about 2 inches farther forward than last year.

attachment.php

I gutted the frame cradle under the swingarm bolt and welded a cross bar under farther forward to connect to the side plates in front of the track.

attachment.php

Note how far back I moved the suspension. This is a modified yamaha single shot skid from a 17 vectror, very similar to what CMX does but NO shock on the front of rails. It used front and rear couplers to control rail pressure.

attachment.php

This years setup is super fun but really picky to keep enough ski pressure when wanted. I have the oc ktm forks with adjustable spring preload and a turn or 2 will make or break the handling. It honestly feels like the whole thing is too short now. It gets squirly at times and over steers but doesn't really wash. I ran this same bike with a 137 and the skid moved way back and it was pretty good and it was the same overall length with the 137 as a stock ts120 kitted bike. I really don't like having long track after the base sets up so I swapped it to the shorty.
Final thoughts is this would be awesome as a 137 or as a heavy 4 stroke with fuel up front, but my smoker is too light up front in this configuration. Again it is way fun (especially jumping) but was a lot more work to get that extra 2 inches that's probably not worth the effort for this build. I'm kinda wondering about how the Gnarbike feels with twice the hp???

2DAF56E8-4B1A-424A-B2FF-0CE08E2FBABA.jpeg 740F2F7C-4D72-496E-9600-00D4732F08DD.jpeg 133F5776-BB74-49D6-BF37-9F6AA4D74285.jpeg 9E370FA1-396F-479F-AE8C-BFA0E42B7F59.jpeg C76339DD-6BE3-4227-B33F-F7923220DF59.jpeg

Last edited:
E
Dec 19, 2007
No if it had a center shock the ski would never touch the snow. The single shot works great now that i revalved it. It stays really neutral like a tire until the couplers kick in. But when it couples it clunks and makes weird noises....but works great. It feels like a bike in the whoops and jump landings are amazingly rear biased. The ski hardly sinks. I had to soften the fork a bunch. It wouldn't use half the stroke before.

Premium Features