• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cr500 in Snowmobile?

B
Jan 31, 2013
This might be a stupid question, but why not? Would running a cr500 engine in a totally custom chromoly chassis be reasonable? It wouldn't be ran in deep powder, just drift busting and trail riding. So, what is bad about this idea, light frame + light engine. I know the clutch system would need figured out, but I thought about designing a foot peg system and just running a standard hand clutch. I really want to build my own sled, just trying to figure out the engine. This sled would be a short track (not sure specifically). Reason I want a 2 stroke is because they are easier to maintain and fix. Also cheaper. Also think of a skinnier chassis like a snow bike, (but engine still up front under the hood), and wider A arms for better cornering and handling.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
could cooling would be an issue? the sled version would be quite a bit heavier than the bike, wonder if it being enclosed and having more weight might be a problem. also shifting in soft snow could really destroy a clutch pretty fast. not to mention spinning a whole track instead of just a tire, unless you used a mini track like the snow bikes do.

R

Rattlin_Ram

Dec 1, 2007
Flatlands
I guess I don't see why you would use a single cylinder 500 when there are twin cylinder 440 race sled engines out there that will put out more HP, more RPM's, less vibration....

Now if you are turning a CR500 into a snowbike??? THAT's another story!!!!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
yeah, the 500 2 stroke snowbike conversions are the ticket, they really throw down comapred to the 450 thumpers.

as for in a sled, lots of work for not much power. 80 horse for a fully built one and isnt cheap then... so, similar to a trail ridable 440? and your stuck with a clutch system, its not that fun to ride on a sled application.

Premium Features