• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Couple 700 comparison Qs

I've been riding the mm700 that I sold to my old man because my rmk blew up. The mm has slp pipes and a 151 track.

I've been riding with an 06 rmk 700 with a 151 and an 03 viper with a 144
They are both bone stock

The rmk is way more powerful and climbs better than both yamahas this isn't to surprising to me because it's a newer sled
But the viper is more powerful and climbs better than the mountain max.
Is it normal for a stock viper to have more power than a piped mountain max?

M
Nov 26, 2007
No, they should be close. If you want a MM that honks, for relatively cheap... Go with a Doo skid, put a 163x16 in it, and clutch it well.

The MM with the SLPs should run with that Viper EASY, if not beat it.

What RPM is it reving, what jets, what is the clutching in it?

Is the head gasket mod done, and airbox mod?

Give me your altitude that you ride at, and what clutching is in it, and I can probably get it really close for you. And, if you have a bit of mechanincal aptitude and ability, you can do the head gasket and air box mod, and then with the clutching, that MM should go VERY well. Ported, and well set up they will climb with a new 800 all day long.

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
A couple weeks ago I rode a Viper and Mountain Max back to back, both 159" tracks, both bone stock motors. The Viper pulled only slightly better, if the MM had pipes it would have smoked the Viper.

Hmm... Something must not be right. The way it worked was my grandpa bought the sled with pipes and then bought stock pipe and sold the triples. I traded him my 600 vmax 136" twin pipes(pogo stick) for the MM. I then bought brand new slp pipes and the 2000+ 151" conversion my and my dad assumed since it was piped before the jetting and clutching was set up for pipes. Sled wasn't as powerful as I had imagined so I sold it to my dad and bought a 2001 Polaris gen II mod with a 162 and a 2003 800 triple out of an xcr. The rmk blew up third ride. So I want to go back to a MM or maybe a viper.

Do most mms have a little red lever you have to flip up at a certain elevation with the pipes? I was told if I don't switch it down when I get to lower elevation it will blow up.

TRIPLESWILLNEVERDIE!

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2008
Northwest, MT
Do most mms have a little red lever you have to flip up at a certain elevation with the pipes? I was told if I don't switch it down when I get to lower elevation it will blow up.[/QUOTE]

No they dont have anything like that. There is a valve that flows coolant to that carbs that can be opened to prevent carb icing. most folks remove it and they arent red. Sound like it got some sort of custom altitude compensator. Are the vent lines from your carbs running to it?
Post up a pic if possible.
A properly set up piped MM with 151 should hang with an 06 700 "truthfully they are 755cc" Polaris cheaters LOL! RMK 151 and should destroy a stock viper with 144.

L
Mar 23, 2009
UP of Mi
be sure you are jetted properly because it makes a world of difference,night and day, just be careful not to lean it out or you will go blewy. I need EGT guages this winter and will have them now that I experienced proper jetting and loved it, just don't want to blow it up on the cold days

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
Do most mms have a little red lever you have to flip up at a certain elevation with the pipes? I was told if I don't switch it down when I get to lower elevation it will blow up.

No they dont have anything like that. There is a valve that flows coolant to that carbs that can be opened to prevent carb icing. most folks remove it and they arent red. Sound like it got some sort of custom altitude compensator. Are the vent lines from your carbs running to it?
Post up a pic if possible.
A properly set up piped MM with 151 should hang with an 06 700 "truthfully they are 755cc" Polaris cheaters LOL! RMK 151 and should destroy a stock viper with 144.[/QUOTE]

I had a properly set up MM with just a 144, and I never met any 700 rmk or 800 rmk that could even come close. I ran revy, Valemount, Mcbride I also had an 03 viper with clutching and the local dealer had the triples on their demo. In a straight drag I would pull him up to about 70 and he would slowly catch me. We swapped the secondary clutch and he was gone by about 20 lengths in 1/4 mile Proper clutching is key

Premium Features