• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cottonwood Pass

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
Yup I know there is no snow in Colorado...Just find it odd that hundreds of people pack into Cottonwood Pass and never see anyone asking about riding conditions. No longer live there so gotta drive over thousand miles to ride it. SnoTell never accurate. So hope as the season picks up you all will help....

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
Still no riding at Cottonwood yet? WTF.. Snow gods hating this year... Brand New Sled sitting.... Shoulda bought a UTV....lol

C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
Starting to be some snow in some places, not sure about cottonwood but I doubt it's ready. CB, Ears, and Grand Lake/Corona are really all that's worth riding at this point to my knowledge, and none of them are "great".

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Starting to be some snow in some places, not sure about cottonwood but I doubt it's ready. CB, Ears, and Grand Lake/Corona are really all that's worth riding at this point to my knowledge, and none of them are "great".

CB is looking better and snow incoming for Saturday, but nothing too crazy it looks like. I'll probably head up to ski Wednesday before work in Gunnison. I'll give an update on what I see, but yeah seems fairly bleak still at this point...

Vail pass has to be at least decent I would assume? Ski lodges are talking 50 inches of base that has to be enough for moderate riding right?

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
Looks like a chance of snow this weekend. Snotel says trail opened and groomed...20 inch base.. laughable... Guess Ill make the thousand mile drive and trail ride...ugh Only weekend my girlfriend can ride this season, so no choice...
On a positive note: we will probably have the entire parking area to ourselves....lol

Don't be too sure about the 'empty parking lot' assumption. I think the few places with decent snow (Ears, GL, etc) are busier than normal because there are fewer places with good snow. My theory is, there are lots of people (in Colorado and out of state) that have spent a lot of money on the newest, latest and greatest mountain machine, and they have decided they are going to ride it, despite the lack of snow. This sounds like your situation as well.

P
Nov 26, 2007
I agree. It seems the flatlanders have all bought into the 'you must own a mtn sled' mindset. So the only place you can put these machines to use is...in the mtns. Thus the large influx of out of state riders. Though each year, with the machines getting more and more capable, and seemingly less 'epic powder days' (climate change), i wonder how long the 'mtn sled' mentality will last.

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
true enough...I lived in and rode Colorado since 2000. I did move after I retired, but keep my sleds at buddy's cabin not far from Cottonwood...since usually ride with them. I am passing on Cottonwood this next weekend and take the extra day drive to Colorado to pick up sleds then head to the Snowies for safe snow...
Hope to see you all riding Cottonwood soon....

Premium Features