• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Coolant Temp Bouncing Around

J

jhillam

May 2, 2010
My trusty Dragon 700 RMK had motor internals refreshed over the summer. I got it out today for first ride and coolant temps were bouncing around erratically (121F, 128F, 115F, 151F, etc). What gives? Is it bad temp probe, sticky thermostat, or electrical problem? All else seems fine and sled runs great.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
My trusty Dragon 700 RMK had motor internals refreshed over the summer. I got it out today for first ride and coolant temps were bouncing around erratically (121F, 128F, 115F, 151F, etc). What gives? Is it bad temp probe, sticky thermostat, or electrical problem? All else seems fine and sled runs great.

Sounds like air in the system.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
By bouncing around do you mean like instantly bouncing around? Or over the coarse of a couple of minutes you see it bouncing around?

sled_guy

S
Dec 10, 2007
Puyallup, WA
Replacing the temp sensor fixed mine. It was jumping all over and kept putting the ECU in failsafe mode so it ran like crap. But I would check the wiring harness first, especially around the jackshaft and steering to make sure it's not chaffing on anything.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Replacing the temp sensor fixed mine. It was jumping all over and kept putting the ECU in failsafe mode so it ran like crap. But I would check the wiring harness first, especially around the jackshaft and steering to make sure it's not chaffing on anything.

Agree. Sounds like a faulty connection, compromised wiring, or defective temp sensor if this is happening fast.

But like TRS stated, I'd also verify there's no air in the system.

Premium Features