• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

conversion kit on a 3 wheeler???

H

hankohlson

Dec 2, 2007
HOOD RIVER OR
hey guys,

So this fall i built up an old 85 atc250r 3 wheeler for fun. Ive rode the snow hawks awhile ago but haven't had any time on the 2moto or the mt horse but im wondering if i could set up a kit to work on the ol 3 wheeler. Its built pretty strong 310cc big bore with a +4mm stroker crank, pipe carb etc. should be a 55-60 hp motor.

I know no one makes a kit for that application but it couldnt be too different.

Ideas??? Worth thinking about ???

T
Nov 24, 2010
I think the original intent of a snowbike conversion was to be able to utilize your bike in the winter, with the added benenfits of the narrow stance, fuel economy and most of all, the ability to sidehill with ease. Combined, go where no sled has gone before. I dont think a 3 wheeler would be the hot ticket. Innovative, yes, of course. Practical for mountainous terrain, no. Way to think outside the box though.

Oz

E

eskimojoe77

Nov 30, 2011
Why not?

I saw a picture a while back of a 4-wheeler with a Timbersled kit on it so why not a 3-wheeler. You have a swing arm similar to a bike and forks too. I think the last guy thought you were considering two tracks in the rear, and that wouldn't be too hot, but I think you would be able to make a single track and ski work. Your forks are a going to be an issue since they are not inverted forks, but some guys have put kits on the Honda xr650 which has old style forks, so maybe it wouldn't be a problem. Might want to remove your rear fenders though. Your power should be about the same as a 2-stroke 250 bike and there are some of those running around in the snow. Good luck, run what ya brung.

H

hankohlson

Dec 2, 2007
HOOD RIVER OR
Ya what I was thinking was to run the same single track in the rear with a single ski in front. The cool thing about the atc250r (2 stroke sport not like the big red utility models) is the crazy ammount of aftermarket. It has the same engine and shares many parts with the trx250r that's very popular with atv racing. You can get 450cc cylinder kits and guys have some in the 80hp range.

The swing arm on these are actually interchangeable with the current trx450r sport quad. So... A guy could put a single track under his sport quad and 2 skis up front. I don't think that could hang with a sled but would be better than the two big track kits.

I actually also have an xr600r set up for supermoto with a custom set if triple clamps and usd forks off a crf450. The steering head on the atc is the same and the xr so a swap there is possible.

This may be just a crazy idea but its fun to think about. If any manufactures wanna guinea pig... Lemme know!!

S
ATC Snowbike conversion kit

I know this thread is old but i have been thinking about this and might be crazy enough to try it. The ATC 250R and ATC 350X frames are narrow enough that i think it is a thought worth looking into. I wish i had more experience with snow bikes to foresee the potential problems. I think the advantages would be that the frame is lower and shorter than a dirt bike. Would a lower and shorter snow bike be an advantage??? I don't know but it seems like it would be.
This would be an intense build in order to get the right engine/transmission and find one that is fuel injected and electric start. Add a Timbersled conversion kit and see how it does. I'm not interested in this because i think it would be cheaper. I just wonder if it would result in a pretty cool snow bike. What are your thoughts. Don't be afraid to be blatantly honest and call me out if I'm crazy--

Last edited:
Premium Features