• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch Slipping and Squealing

L
Feb 11, 2011
I noticed after I bought my 07 IQ 440 that whenever I go hard on the throttle, the belt makes a squealing sound and it's very annoying. It doesn't make the noise when I'm driving at a steady speed or at idle, but whenever I try to accelerate faster it does. I know they're still the original springs in both the primary and secondary. It's the same thing with a new belt also. When I had the secondary off I heard a small rattle whenever I shook it. Would the springs be the reason for the squeal?

Thanks

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
It could be weak springs. Also take off both clutches and wash the sheaves in very hot soapy water to get the old rubber deposits out of the aluminum. Rinse well with clear water and let dry. Do the same with the belt. Scrub the sides where it contacts the sheaves with a bristle brush in hot soapy water and rinse. That should stop the slipping if it is due to glazing of sheaves and belt.
You may want to look inside the secondary if something is rattling in there as that isn't normal.

Last edited:
L
Feb 11, 2011
The rattle in the secondary was a the tip of a broken 1/4" bolt that was used for changing belts. the belt deflection seemed pretty good but ill check it later.

Premium Features